Demo, Demo, Demo , Then buy in fall or spring ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 27, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

From what advice I've seen on Lawn-site it's highly recommended to demo a lot before you make a final decision. So far I've demoed a Hustler Super Z for 1 hour, and a John Deere 757 for about 3 hours on my property, and a Kubota ZD-28 for about 15 minuets on another property. I would also like to try an Exmark Lazer Z on my property, and possibly the Kubota ZD-28.

1. What is a fair amount of time to do a good demo?

2. Can too many demo's cause confusion?

3. Is it best to buy a ZTR in the fall or is it better to wait till spring.

4. would buying a demo be a good idea ?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I really don't think you will find all of the potential strengths or weaknesses of a machine unless you got to use it atleast 2-3 hrs, personally, I'd like to put 5-8 to be sure.. That is unless I jumped on it and instantly hated it!!

3. webdrifter

txlawnking,
    Thanks for the response. The Hustler rep stayed with me while I did the Demo so I felt a bit rushed. The John Deere dealer brought the ZTR, and left it with me for a couple of days. I feel like I need longer on the Hustler to make a fair comparison with the Deere, and I intend to have the other demo's like I mentioned.

The John deere dealer seemed a little shocked that I was so informed about the different ZTR's. I told him that I had spent a lot of time on Lawnsite getting educated. I think he has a lot of loyal John deere people that will buy just because of the Deere name without ever looking at another mower.

4. webdrifter

I'm getting another demo on the super z next monday. I will get to mow my complete yard this time. Hustler rep told me that prices are going up about 3% august first. I'm still wondering if the best deals are in the fall or spring.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The best deals are in the dead of winter. Thats when I have bought most of my larger mowers. Most dealers are not selling much in the off season and will discount a little deeper on their mowers.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, wide price range there, I'd love to hear your report on the Kubota.

I know demoing lots of mowers can be confusing, but you will know the right one....

If you can, try a Toro Z588E, and get the dealer to show you how to use the adjustable baffle, this new model is very impressive.

7. webdrifter

The price range is not that great actually. The Super z with the 27 hp Kohler is $7800. The 757 John Deere with 25 hp Kaw is $7695, and the ZD-28 is a year old with 350 hours on it at a price of $8000.

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, thanks.....I was visualising a new ZD 28 being at least 20-30% more than a Super z. don't mind me:)

9. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Your best deals are probably right now, and on through August.

The reason is that floor plans are now about to come due for the dealers. This means that the dealer must come up with a ton of cash to pay off everything in his inventory , or start paying interest on all this inventory at a rate that would even embarass the Mafia to ask for.

The prices on ALL the new mowing equipment is about to take some serious big increases. The price of all steel has more than doubled since a year ago in June. The manufacturers have been holding the line on price increases all of this year. Many of them had futures contracts that allowed them to get steel at lower prices, some of it was that they thought it might just be temporary increases and they absorbed it and just held prices in check.

Well, now those contracts at the old low steel prices are all over with, and everybody now knows this ain't temporary - so if you wait for the new 2005 equipment , you will also get your new prices super sized !!!

Right now you can find some mower companies offering - 0 down, 0% interest, 0 payment till next April 2005.

If you can get a machine at a low 2004 price, and not have to worry about making any payments this winter, and not have any interest being charged to you either - you are never going to see it this low cost again, so what do you have to loose ????

If you wait till Spring or even late fall to make a major purchase of equipment - it's likely to be a very expensive mistake this year.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

with out the bagger, you probably don't need it.

If you find that you do, you can add it later.

kenny:angel:

hustler in front yare.jpg