1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demo EXMARK versus SCAG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Aug 1, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

They are bringing me a Exmark with the new updated 66" Triton deck and a 31 hp Vanguard. They are also bringing me on the same trailer a Scag Turf Tiger with a 61" Velocity Plus deck and the 35 hp Vanguard.

My understanding is the 35 Vanguard is a horse but it really likes fuel. When I finish I will know all and any differences between the Hustler Super Z 66" XR-7, Scag Turf Tiger 61" Velocity Plus, Exmark 66" Triton and the Bad Boy Lightening.

This should be very interesting ! ! !
  2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

give us the feedback
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You really need to spend and entire Spring season cutting thick moist Northern grasses to appreciate the differences especially the decks. Your used to cutting Southern grasses at very low heights and high speed. You should still learn a lot but it isn't the same as cutting fescue and other grasses at 3.5" to 4". But tell us what you think. I've run them all or at least close to the ones you descibe. Just not much experience with the Triton. You'll love the Briggs power but your pretty much addicted to speed Puppypaws. Have fun. I know which one works for me.
  4. puppypaws

You are right, as my friend said there is not a perfect mower for all grasses in different parts of the country and there probably never will be. He is the one bringing me the mowers to try, he also sells Toro and said "there is just certain people that want different things in mowers", kinda like Ford and GM.

I will be able to tell about comfort, handling ability, slope holding capability, use of controls and different features.

I have 1/2 acre of solid Bermuda grass, thick and plush, some good areas of Fescue and Blue grass and plenty of tough cutting with Buckhorn Plantain, Dallas grass, Signal grass and about any other kind of junk that will grow.

I'm going to have grass I can cut at different heights to compare the cuts and give a fair comparison for this part of the country.

They tell me they are not selling many 35 Vanguards because there gas usage is very high.

How is your 31 on fuel?
  5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Scag will tear that X-terminated up.
  6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Looking forward to your review.

I know you will be fair and unbiased.

And yes, you are a speed freak.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 31 hp Briggs is using about 1.4 gallons per hour which is not bad considering how much work I'm getting done.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is going to be interesting.
  9. puppypaws

1.4 gal. hr. is really amazing that is no more than the 27 Kohler in heavy cutting.

Yep, I have always had a need for speed whether it be motorcycles or cars, the faster they would run the better I liked it. I have now gotten to the point at my age that cutting at 15 mph is about all my reflexes will handle.
  10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: Its hard not to push the sticks all the way, if you've ever used a super Z you'll understand why ..LOL Yep let us no how they work out .