1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demo gone really bad!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deere ZTR, Jul 11, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I picked up a Lazer Z this morning to demo and all was going well and good until I decided to stop by our local school where a friend of mine works as grounds keeper. The school has a wide open and very smooth lawn that they were mowing today so I took off and started mowing with the Lazer as I wanted to check it out in that kind of enviroment. So then he said he wanted to try the lazer but had never been on a Z before. So I figured we are out in the middle of know where what could it hurt. He takes off and did really well for never have being on one before. He stops and I finish up what was left to mow around the objects in the yard. The his side kick comes out and he wanted to try so I'm like ok just stay out in the open and take your time. He takes off like a bat out of hell along the ditch of all places swerving all over and after a couple passes he hit a freakin man hole cover in the lawn and bent a blad and a spindal!! So now who has to pay for the blade and the spendal??????????????
    What would you do?????
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

sorry about your luck. You are reposible for that machine and never should have let anyone who doesn't work for you on it. It sounds like it is gonna come out of your pocket. You know they are not gonna pay for it, the school aint gonna pay for it cuz you should have not been there to begin with let alone be working around the property, if you tell your insurance that someone else was on it Or maybe even since you didn't own it and was not renting it, it probably wont be covered.

Hope the rest of your weekend gets better.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I wouldn't have let either one of them on in the first place. But thats water under the bridge now. Hopefully, he is a good enough guy and would offer to pay for damages. But you are the one the dealer trusted with that mower and are the one responsible. Watever you do make sure that mower gets fixed without the dealer getting hasseled. Otherwise he may not let you or anyone else demo his mowers.
  4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

same thing as taking a car for a test drive and wrecking it. I think the place that you got the mower from has insurance for these kind of things.

I bet your dealer will give you all types of wierd looks. Buy something to ease the tension. :)
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is just my opinion, but I feel this is negligence on your part.
    What business did you have in stopping at that school anyway? You don't have wide open properties of your own that you cut to try the machine?

Why were these other people "demoing" this mower? Are they planning on buying a mower soon?
    I just feel that there was horseplay involved. You let it happen. Cowboy up and face the repairs.

You should have been more interested in demoing that piece of equipment at your properties rather than letting someone else monkey around on it.
    Everyone makes mistakes, and I bet you won't let anyone else use your equipment unless you are sure they are capable of handling it. Just be thankful that no one was hurt.
  6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Do the right thing

And if your not sure re-read Jodi's and the majority of the rest of the posts
  7. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

No I dont have any wide open props. to mow because I'm not mowing at all this year. I was doing a demo in search of equipment for next season. That was the only place I could think of or find that was wide open and that smooth that you could run wide open. No there was not any "horse play" they both have some pull in what the school buys for mowers and were interested in the machine. The school didnt care that I was there I do work for the district on a pretty regular basis and help them out with stuff all the time so that was not and is still not an issue. I at first didnt realize that the spindle was bent I just thought it was the blade I went back to the dealer and told them what had happend and they gave me three new blades to put on it and just said that if it did turn out to be the spindle was bent to just stop and bring it in tom. They didnt seem mad but they werent extatic about it either:rolleyes:
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

You are responsible for the machine, but he should couff up the money to repair it.
  9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Good reason not to buy that demo for that real good price!
  10. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Hey deere, my concern is acts like that screw it up for the rest of us when it comes time for a demo. If everytime a drunk who can't see a manhole cover while he's cutting... shouldn't be near the machine for safety's sake if nothing else... will screw it for the rest of us