Demo kits

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by RLI Electric, Feb 13, 2010.

1. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious, I am sure we all have demo kits. I have accumulated my own over the past couple of years. What do your kits consist of? I will list what I can remember mine has:
    2-150 watt transformers
    1-300 watt transformer
    3 well lights (1 35watt and 2 18 watt)
    1 Stellar
    1 Kichler LED 8.5 watt (I think)
    1 FX LED MR11 bullet
    wire nuts, extension cords,
    13 Hadco BL 516 with 20 watt BAB's
    2-Vista 2219
    1-Vista Pathlight
    1-Hadco MUL4 pathlight
    1-Hadco DWCL1
    1- Hadco DWCL2
    1-Hadco SRL
    Various lengths of jumper wires 25 and 10 footers
    Extendable painters pole (for simulating tree mounted fixtures up to 18 feet)
    I think this is it, I can't remember if there is anything else.
    If you can think of anything I can use that I don't have, let me know.
    If you know a way of making speed connections (anyone who has been to Jan's class will know the connectors she uses) or a means of getting them, please let me know. Right now I use wire nuts and have the neutral wire phased white so I can see them easily in the dark.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I cant rememeber the last time we used our demo kit. It has about 20 bullets... some wash lights... selection of path lights but, it is stuck in the corner of the shop.

My photos and list of refferences serve as my demo. Now I often do mock ups of an area with the actual materials by completing the installation but leaving it unburied until the clients approve but I have not been proceeding with just doing a demo without first obtaining a deposit and go ahead on the project.

3. RLI Electric

Billy, that is great that you have that large of a portfolio to work with. I am assuming that the majority of you are at that point. I am not yet a stand alone lighting company. I am still doing 95% regular electrical work. My goal is to go around and ask to light interesting landscapes and architectual features and have a photographer follow me around. I would love to do my own photography but that is something I don't have the time to learn or the camera to do it with right now. Wow, that really sounds like a lame excuse. While we are talking demo kits maybe some of you can suggest an affordable camera (I don't even know where the prices for these are) and a tripod.

4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I use my demo kits for a few demo's but more often than not I use them to light different booths at home shows, public venues, special occasions, weddings, etc. If it gets complicated I charge for my time, but mostly I do it for free because it always comes back to me 10 fold. Everything is fitted with the connections that Unique uses for their demo kits.

3 840 watt transformers
    1 500 watt tf
    60 well lights
    8 pulsars
    8 stellars
    2 centaurus 6
    2 starburst
    60 frosted lenses for well lights
    2 sequencers
    6 100' 12/2
    8 75' 12/2
    7 50' 12/2
    8 25' 12/2
    4 10' 12/2
    4 green star lasers
    other assorted water lights, etc.
    5.11 tactical vest and thigh mount to hold the tools
    Tactical headlight to save my forehead from low branches...lol
    unrelenting sense of humor

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. RLI Electric

Tommy, do you have quick connects or are you splicing these with wirenuts?

6. RLI Electric

I have thought about the wedding and outdoor parties type of thing. Who would you market these to? Think back to if you were starting out and how you would approach it. I am sure that you are pretty popular in your area. People still equate RLI Electric with regular electrical work. I am trying to promote IllumiNIGHTing as a special service of RLI. I also approached realtors that advertise heavily with the idea of night time curb appeal. Renting a kit for lighting a nice house with the understanding if they want it, it can be incorporated into the purchase price of the house. The seller would pay me, the new homeowner would have lighting for oh, let's say $2.00 a month for the next 30 years. Or something like that. They stage the interior of homes but rarely the outside.

7. The Lighting Geek

i use quick disconnects, the only way to go.

8. RLI Electric

Can you post a picture or a link on where to get them?

9. The Lighting Geek

what I have I have had for years. check with joey at Unique.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Bob. I have a gently used Canon 20D body available. You would need a good lens, tripod, shutter release, which you can pick up on ebay pretty easily. email me for more deets if you are interested.