Demo Mower Blues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettern'goats, Jul 26, 2002.

1. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

I bought a demo mower 2 weeks ago from the local dealer. In order for me to use the mower before the demo time was up, I am required to bring the mower back once a week for him to keep on his lot. I don't know wether or not the mower is being used as a demo but, I do know he's mowing his personal yard with it. I took the mower on Wednesday and left it like I always do. While I was there I told him to sharpen the blades. I looked at the blades yesterday when I finished mowing and the don't look like they've been sharpened. So I called this morning to see if they forgot. Dealer said " NO" I sharpened em' and then mowed my place with it, and on top of that one of the blades was bent. I haven't paid him for sharpening the blades yet. So, my dilemma is this: If there was a need for a replacement blade should I have to cover it? I haven't hit anything with it. My brother says he hasn't hit anything with it. I would like to maintain a healthy relationship with him. Any advice???
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

not sure im really understanding this post, you "bought" this mower? then why are you taking it back for someone else to use?
  3. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

That was the mutual understanding. In order not to violate his deal with scag the mower must be kept for x amount of time. I think he told me September. Least, that's what the guy is telling me.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I think he's just messin' with you. He's either borrowing money from you, or scamming Scag by collecting early on something he's supposed to keep for x amount of time. Let's contact Scag, give them the serial #'s, see what inventory status of that machine is supposed to be, and then tell them what's going on. If the mower is sold,- it's SOLD!!! He is required to report that immediately, and then he has to PAY for that mower! There is a dealer right around us that went out of business right after Gravely put their backs to the wall - including a law suit. Seems that Gravely didn't TAKE so kindly to going into their warehouse, and finding a bunch of empty boxes in the centers of the stacks, where they had sold all of these tractors and machines, but didn't report them. This sounds like one of those same things. Don't tell your dealer you're contacting Scag, though.
  5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer does not do it this way. I demoed a brand new Sabre tooth tiger deisel engine and put 8 hours on it. He then said he could sell em this one that day. They take about 5-7 dollars an hour off the price. I think your dealer is throwin you a curveball here. Call another dealer and tell them and see what they say.
  6. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

If i pay for something its stayin with me unless it needs service work done but to take it back each week, i think he just using it for his own use and the company knows nothing about it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

:confused: Something doesn't add up here??? You say you "bought" the mower. Did you pay for it in full? Do you have a receipt stating the mower is now yours?

I have never heard of this kind of arrangement/transaction b4. If you ask me, there's a "termite in the woodpile" if you catch my drift.

You either own the mower or you don't. It's that simple.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would start spraying that termite.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hear ya loud and clear hoss!!!
  10. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

With that arrangement I hope he sold it to you real cheap. I would definately take my savings and invest in a Magna Matic blade sharpener. Something about paying him to sharpen blades and then he goes and cuts his on yard. I would have been jumping up and down burning mad.:blob2: