demo of a scag ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Sep 7, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

im going full time into the field next year and want a great cut from a ztr.the jd 737 i bought new this year has been mixed results with the quality of cut.my dealer that i buy stihl products from is also a scag dealer.he wants me to try a scag ztr and claims it will be much better.how do you guys like the scags vs exmark,ferris,dixie chopper?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try everything then go with the lazer. Her in Connecticut the ultracut deck cut great in taller grass. go to exmarks forum and look under To Exmark . John

3. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

I demoed a JD 717. Cut ok, did not like hills at all. I bought a SCAG Tiger cub. Great Cut, and does a good job on hills.

Good Luck.

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

cnrtyboymc - I see your from auburn, I am in Clay, NY. You should be fairly close to Carls Mower Service in Warners,NY. They sell Exmark. Take a Lazer out for a demo and you'll never look at anything else. Just my 2cents:drinkup:

5. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we run scag turf tigers and exmark lazers. the laborers still prefer exmarks over the turf tigers. i think they're both good machines, and if you look at repairs, they are about equal in engine and deck fixings. the lc 27hp kaw on the scag really moves the machine, however if the guys had the choice they'd grab the exmark.

6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I say go with the Scag. Its better built and don't let others fool you that other machines cut better than it, its just personal opinion (after all this is a Pro Exmark & Hustler Site). Also, it disperses clippings the best IMO. Most important though demo and find a GOOD dealer.

7. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

what have you heard about garys equipment co. in clay?

8. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

On my JD 737 I put the mulch kit on, made sure the deck pitch was right, and then added a Bobcat highlift blade on the bottom in addition to my JD mulcher blade. The finished cut is comparable or better in looks to the neighbors lawns that are getting mowed by other contractors.

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I do like about the Exmark more than any other machine is the way the hydrolics are set up. No other company uses an open system. The closed systems heat up the hydrolic fluid beyond its max temp. Don't have that problem with Exmark. In fact they usually run an average of 30 to 40 degrees under the max temperature which usually equates to fewer problems. On the other hand I like the heavy construction of Scag decks. It does cause them to weigh more, but less chance of damaging it.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The only way this is PRO exmark site is that most of the members use them. Now I look and test most mowers every spring like this past spring with this scag. It didn't cut as good as the ultracut deck but i will say i'd rather have a scag then a hustler.
    John

resized680.jpg