Demo pics of New John Deere 997

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

just a few pics to show you from yesterday's demo of the new John Deere 997. This machine is awesome, nicest thing to drive, handles great, ultra smooth transmission, no hydo squealing, if it had a deck that was good I'd buy it no second thought.

I'm actually needing rear discharge but think maybe a good deck simply isn't built yet, so am even considering trading my toro Z588E on the new Deere diesel. I'm not gaining anything except a new mower, but....

What are the 60'' 7 iron side discharge decks like compared to toro's turbo force, hustler etc? My work is as you see in the pics, parks and rougher areas, no manicured lawns, so needs to process a lot of clippings and disperse evenly....

1st pic is the under side of the deck model I had, 60'' rear discharge....

johndeere1.jpg

2. Tonyr

DSCF0437.JPG

DSCF0444.JPG

DSCF0451.JPG

DSCF0453.JPG

3. Tonyr

this pic is I cut a couple of runs on the right, the clean cut, and on the left I cut with the j.d rear discharge.....big difference!

DSCF0447.JPG

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Too much clumping on the deere. :)

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is NOT a good cut! WOW! The wrapper on the seat is a nice touch too!

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Are you still planning on demoing a Hustler rear discharge?

7. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

that looks like you got a soaking on that pasture hay. don't look like grass anyway; mosy everything would have clumped it up. how wet was it?

8. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

tony did you run the TORO in that to see if it would throw the grass out better? everyone tells me that the TORO does great in that type grass when you side discharge

9. Tonyr

Yeah, I'm going to demo the rear discharge Hustler next week hopefully.
    Same areas....

Yes, grass was damp....

those pics show my scope of work I do here, no manicured lawns like you guys....they want this overgrown muck looking neat....

The J.D has the power to make this good, the deck simply wind rowed, it didn't 'fan' the clippings into an even dispersal mat as reps tell me they would.

Because on the real long stuff the cut was poor, but ok to double cut it didn't phase me, then went to the vacant block where you really see the windrows, ho hum....rough cut, rough job, but was fast, so now the big test, quality of cut on bermuda at a park I do....well, you see the results.

Now, this wasn't long, no more than 2'' of leaf to cut off, my toro raced over it and no clumps, the j.d just couldn't get it right.

My toro works hard, cuts those jobs daily, no probs, only that long stuff I double cut because the toro deck misses the stalks a lot, but with houses going up around my vacant blocks spraying the grass is tricky...

Yes my toro would of been bustin it's but on the long grass jobs due to dampness, but having to go over where you have discharged which you do is harder on the machine, grass going in, grass exiting out the deck's rear, makes sense, no wasted double cutting, no spraying crap everywhere, safer, all it has to do is lay the clippings out in a nice even mat behind the deck, why someone can't figure this amazes me, side discharge is bloody old stuff, need rear discharge, trim both sides etc....

that's why I wanted to check rear discharge....

also, as I'm working for developers, and council, they are phasing out side discharge because of claims and prefer I too found a rear discharge mower.

The j.d is very nimble, top notch stuff, the hustler as I had been on one already is very bulky in comparison, no where near as smooth, from the seat to the rear is longer making guaging length harder in tight areas.

The hustler 'looks' much bigger, it is just cosmetics though, but if it looks big to me, then it will look like a tractor to the client and could go against me on ressie jobs.

But if it cuts nice then that's what it is all about!

But, if the j.d cut the bermuda on the park well, I would of wrote the check.

It cut the easy stuff worse than I could of ever imagined, and j.d call this a 'finish' mower lol. How it cut the long stuff was just playing around, it is how it 'finish' mowed that decided....

And yes, over here we do this work with ride on mowers, and tractors, but we charge well for mowing long stuff as people are not liking tractors leaving big windrows, so the initial cut is as in the pics then maintained every 6 weeks.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:) Your comparing apples to oranges. Rear discharge will not cut near as good as a side discharge let alone overgrown and wet. Put a 72" side discharge deck on that 997 and it will smoke that Toro. :)