Demo Super Z- what a SOLID piece of.......read!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jun 18, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

GOLD

Man what a machine. I was like a little kid with a new toy. The dealer dropped it off and said that their policy is 4 hours free and 19.50/hr after that. I had 17 lawns to mow and some were very small so I saved my time for the good lawns and used my Walker on the 3 small lawns. I still have about 15 minutes left.

I don't want to seem too excited but in my opinion, on my lawns I cannot compare this machine to Scag, Yazoo Kees, Ferris or Walker. As a matter of fact, I actually am not liking my Walker for the flat out lawns that I do. It is pitifully slow compared to the Super Z. It still is gonna be on my trailer because it does my hills like no other but for the flats I have to be faster.
    Quality of cut was good. I had stock blades on the thing and it threw grass well. This demo had a 24 Honda which is my last chioce. The Honda loped and didn't have enough snot to run the machine at its potential until it wound up. It also backfired when I shut it off no matter if I shut it off in full throttle, half throttle or turtle throttle. I am very excited about the 28EFI thats promised in August.
    It is built like a tank. The responsiveness and feel of the controls are like silk. It handles bumps well. It climbs some of my smaller hills well. I like the deck control and the ease of service on the machine. Great trim edge to the left, you can actually see it without bendin your noggin over the gas tank.

Now for all you Exmark guys. I haven't had the chance to put one to the test. That is Thursday. I am getting a 60 Lazer EPS. Dunno if its a 26 or 28 but you can be sure I will write another review after that. I will tell you now that I was a juror in a big trial once and I am not influenced before I ZEE the facts. Everyone is saying how the Lazer cuts and I am gonna give it a chance. Its got some big boots to fill if its gonna beat the Super Z.

superz 047.jpg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wait to you get the 28 EFI on this unit.
    I had the opportunity to use the prototype 28 EFI last month at the factory, and it is AWESOME !!!
    Right now my main demo mower is a 27 Kohler and it is great to, but that 28 EFI is a bit more responsive, and no choke to mess around with.......

3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

It's nice to hear this as the Super Z is the Z to beat for me. I will be purchasing after the first of the year and hope to have the new 28hp Kubota diesel on it by then. I can't wait.

4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Mowerconsultant . how about a white seat ? , black is killer in the sun

5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

And a more comfortable suspension seat would be very helpful as well. I haven't turned one up all the way yet though so the current ones may work. I'll demo again soon.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will agree with you there.
    I am going to forward this to some guys at the factory.

Later
    Pj

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Ed,
    I'm glad to see you have found out what every Hustler owner knows. Their WB's are built the same way, in fact, the "Z's" are actually built like the WB's:p :p But honestly, I'm glad to hear others besides myself are realizing the quality that goes into a Hustler product.
    Pete

8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the chance to demo a super z for about 4 days and it was awesome, I did not want to give it back. I hope in the next few months I will be purchasing one, my dealer gave me a price of a little below 8k with tax included (60" 27 kohler).

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Saw one that slid down the bank today and had one wheel in about two feet of water. Was being pulled out by another type of Z mower. I know they all slide on hills and wish that they would design them to handle the hills.

10. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

MOW ED,

What is the size of the one you demoed? I am thinking of going with the Super Z. Just been waiting for a dealer to get Hustler so I can try one out...We don't have a local dealer yet...