demo time

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Mar 2, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

What would you consider a reasonable amount of seat time in a new machine for purposes of a demo? I had thought feeling out a machine for few hours was helpful but now I'm thinking I'd like to have a machine for at least a day and run many different tasks. Does that sound reasonable?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Here is what I think. The more time the better. Sometime though I don't know how critical it is if you essentially buying the same machine only newer. If your running another brand of skid steer I can see needing a good day on it. It takes a couple hours just to become familiar with the machine, always it seems you bring your baggage from your current machine to the new one. It takes a while to lose that. Case has always given me 8-10 hours. BC this last time gave me 16 hours. I don't know what CAT will give me. Anything less than 8 will not be enough.

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should do a quick demo on all the ones your interested, and pin it down to two. Then try to get the 2 at the same time to do heavy comparison, that has always worked for me. If I let them know what I am doing and that I will buy one or the other, they will usually let me have for the weekend.

4. YellowDogSVC

from TX

so you are thinking of changing colors? :)

5. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

well how about this i own 7 bobcats and im only aloud to demo the machine for 4 hours?????:confused: i never owned a cat in my life and i was aloud to demo the machine for 2 weeks and i put about 50 hrs on the machine i dont get it

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Not unless I have a reason to. I usually always demo another machine before I buy another CASE. I have not yet found something better, but if I do than changing colors is in order. Its all about productivity which means making money. I like CASE machines and I like doing business with the company, but if I don't think CASE gives me an advantage then I use the machine that does. I try to look at each machine I demo objectively.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I've done 30 minutes in various other machines and I gave the sales people an unbiased opinion on it, but other machines like my Cat, I needed (and eventually took) a full day before I could say anything about it.
    It's getting the machine to into every conceivable work site condition that is the trick and doing exactly what you do with your existing machine that can make or break it.

8. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I don't know if I am different but, I can usually tell wether a machine is right for me in about a 15 minutes to an hour. Anything more than that either makes me realy want it or realy hate it.

J.

9. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

Bobcat did the same thing to me! Only four hours max and I had to Fill it back up with fuel:nono:. Right off the bat it makes you mad at the dealer that they could be so cheap.

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

doesn't seem quite fair!