Demo??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by windsory, Jun 23, 2007.

1. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I have never demoed a unit before and am curious as to how one goes about it. What kind of information must you provide? Do all dealers have demos and are the demo units provided by the manufacturer?

2. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

My local Gravely dealer usually has a demo unit available (also used for a spare for us guys in case one of ours is down). Not sure what kind of info, deposit, etc you might have to provide. Go and talk with your dealer and see what he says. Good luck.

3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

go and talk to a local dealer. Tell them what kind of equipment you are looking to buy and ask if they will have anything to meet your needs.

after they answer simply ask if you can see the unit and then ask if you can take it for a day to try out.

Most dealers provide demo mowers at their own expense so be nice and take care of the equipment.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If the dealer doesnt have a demo then he can usually get a distributor rep to bring them right to one of your account sites to try out. Demo before you buy. They cost too much not to.

5. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

what mowers are you interested in demoing?

6. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

None right now. I'm just curious as to how it works.

7. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

so a demo is where you take it and use it? or do you test it out at the place? i dn im confused too...but if you can take it and use it on an account that would be tight now im gunna go demo a toro com. 21"

8. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

A demo is when you take the mower with you for a few dadys to try it out on some of your accounts. My question is what kind of paperwork and informtion must be supplied to the dealer before demoing a unit? I know over half the people on this site have demoed before, please somebody explain it to me.

9. HFS

HFS LawnSite Member

Your going to want to bring a copy of your Certificate of General Liability Insurance. ((Some dealers will allow you to purchase insurance from them like a rental place, but most wont since thats not their main deal.)) You'll also want to have a valid ID and a credit card for a deposit most cases. Lastly make sure your able to transport the mower safely without marking it up. If I were you I would start by demoing the unit at the dealers lot. Then tell them you would like to get a better feel for it in the field. Sometimes the sales rep for the dealer will bring it to your site and give you a once over and then hand it over for you to do your thing. Whatever you do, don't lead them on. Just be strait with them and you'll find you get more out of them over the long run. LATER...

10. HFS

HFS LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention. You'll also want to have your state and federal tax ID number on hand if they ask. LATER...