1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

democrats in congress = good for "green" companies?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cedarcroft, Nov 12, 2006.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

with the recent election results, do you think that Green companies will be better off? I do. I think that over the next few years more favorable legislation will be adopted and will be good for our business and bad for the chem guys.
    disclaimer: I am not looking to start a political debate, just interested in peoples thoughts on the new congress' effect on us.
  2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I think you will see legislation proposed that will restrict the use of chemicals. However this will not increase the green market. Customers that use chemical lawn care want results. They will not go to companies that charge high prices and no results.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with grandview.

personally i think they will be tied up so long in trying to smear the republicans for the next elections, that issues like these will get overlooked. I don't think you will see much legeslation on issues like this until after the presidental election.
  4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

If you run your business so poorly that you need to rely on greenie weenies and their "sky is falling" scare tactics to help promote your false ideals, then in the end I see very little chance of success for you

Let's review the facts.... Humans live longer more enjoyable lives than ever before...there is an abundance of food in the world to the point that humans are fat

New species of mammals, reptiles, insects ect. are being found all of the time.... The environment is cleaner that ever in the history of industrialized nations

Chemicals are now safer than ever and the unsafe ones are fading from the market

Here is an idea for you...how about building your business on sound business and TRUTH and FACTS.... AND RESULTS (big way to call out the "organic" clowns here)...instead of scare mongering, B.S., fear, half truths, and lies

If you don't, one day some other person that is even more jealous and full of envy than you...And void of even fewer ideas than you will come along with an even better fear mongering/marketing campaign than you and he will leave you in the road like yesterday's compost…and lets face the truth….the people you are looking to for legislation to push your kook ideas are whores…they will drop you and your greenie weenie "ideals" as soon as the next kook with even bigger wacko ideas comes along

it is post like the origional one in this thread that firm my disgust for the enviro-crowd.....can't compete in the realm of ideas...can't promote your results....so you seek out the liberal power whores to force people to buy into your B.S.....truly a sad way to hold and promote "beliefs"
  5. YardPro

so you're not democrat??? :)
  6. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

for the record, I am a Republican and proud meat eater. I am choosing the organic route because the island I live on has nothing but sand underneath it and anything we put on the surface ends up in our drinking water very quickly with little filtration. It is a local thing and a personal preference to avoid the use of chemicals and pesticides. I was just asking if anyone thought the new congress would help our cause with green leaning legislation. That type of legislation raises awareness of alternatives to chemicals and in turn helps people trying to sell these services. I sell the truth more than anything, so much so that it probably hurts my business. I tell people that if they want a perfect weed free lawn that looks like a golf course, they should use scotts. if they are interested in reducing chemicals and pesticides on their property and don't mind a few weeds go with me.
    Huh, don't attack me and my business practices when you know nothing about who I am and what I believe in. I agree with just about everything you said in your post and see eveidnce of a healthier environment everywhere I go. We have Hawks and all sorts of birds I have never seen before and our water is clearer now than evfer before. I don't believe in fear mongering and liberal BS. I think Al Gore is a opportunist ****** with a twisted sense of environmentalism. I simply prefer to sell natural and organic products and I think the new congress will ultimately be beneficial to my cause. so take your political debate and repressed anger elsewhere unless you have something constructive to add to this topic.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have a feeling this will end up in off topic before too long....
    But anyway, I think that due to the new democratic majority we will definitely see more restrictions on pesticides, including what homeowners can buy and apply themselves. In the long run, less pesticides can only result in one thing: a cleaner environment. That doesn't sound too bad to me.
  8. Otownlost

Otownlost LawnSite Member

I would not count on the Democrats for "Green Legislation" with any real substance. Al Gore and Bill Clinton's bid to retain the White House was to have Gore spear head the push to ban Dusrban. The "scientific" basis of this ban was the "poisonings" associated with it. After two rigorous weeks of study, which was the reading of 250 complaint letters of non licensed applicators misapplying Dursban TC in violation of label directions, (as a residential pesticide), they announced Dursban was "unsafe". Dow beat them to the punch and initiated a voluntary phase out. The result is classes of insecticides replacing organophosphates that breakdown quickly and force more frequent applications.
    In addition, the ban on DDT has brought forth an increase in mosquito populations and resultant disease vectors. The problem so prevalent, the Federal Government is reversing itself on DDT and the test data. Scientists now state that DDT was not to blame for eagle eggs having thin shells (resulting in mortality). Look for the return of chlorinated hydrocarbons for the control of mosquitoes.
    Moral is- the political climate swings back and forth. The laws enacted target commercial applicators, not homeowners. Any doubt of this statement will be removed once you go to Home Depot and purchase Dursban products. Try buying them at Leesco.
  9. YardPro

good post otto. great informantion.

I am more republican as well, although i am pro choice, etc...

Having degrees in biology, i understand the implications of irresponsible applications.

I think otownlost has a very good level headed post. I can't stand a poorly thought out knee jerk reaction. That is the biggest problem i have with many in the Organic movement. I am pro "organics", but i am anit -"synthetics are poisoning the earth". I think this attitude does more to hurt the organic movement than anything else.

Far too many people think just because something is natural it is safe to use, and vice versa.
  10. DeltaLawn

DeltaLawn LawnSite Member

Hey thats right out of the Neo Con play book!