1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

demo'd a couple

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Nov 7, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

While at a dealership today I had the opportunity to demo a couple different mowers. One was the Ferris with the independant suspension. I was a little confused when I got on this thing.....................where was the suspension? It was a very bumpy ride to have a suspension. The cut quality was not that good in my opinion either. Have to give this one a thumbs down.

Second mower was a 52" Hustler Z. This mower rode better than the Ferris! It had a 23 Kawasaki engine and seemed to be a little underpowered for some reason cutting the field grass I was in. Quality of cut is/was better than the Ferris though.

Both machines............especially the Ferris...............were difficult to manipulate. The levers were stiffer than anything I have ever tried out.............even my Scag. I know they were new so that may get better with age.

I didn't stay on either mower very long and didn't test them on any of my properties so this wasn't a lengthy demo.

I wasn't shopping...........just taking an opportunity while I was there to check out the competition.

In summary: Think I'll stick with my current manufacturer for my next purchase.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love those demo's. We have a local Toro company that brough out 2 Z355's out fronts for us to demo for 3 days and what our opions are! Thats great 3 days of cleanups with 2 extra mowers for our crews!!! Mabey we can get them to let us run em in December with 42" snowblowers in a storm!!!
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have never been a big fan of the Ferris line although I cannot personally speak for the Hustlers.

I find the Ferris' to be very bulky and awkward to the point of aggrevation as far as the DualDrive is concerned. I dont like the thumb operated controls they have and tried to run the ProCut with the 22hp and found it to be underpowered as well.

The one feature that I did like about the 3-wheeled rider was that they are great for cutting under low-limbed trees such as pin oaks and pines. Thats why I have kept my scag sthm all this time for big jobs with those special cutting provisions.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with ya on the suspension or lack of one on the Ferris. I thought I was the only one to notice. I got to ride one at expo and even though I wasn't cutting I knew that this was not an option for me.
    It is amazing how all of these things that are made to do a certain job are so different.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I was really surprised when I took off on the thing that I even felt a bump! The Hustler rode much better with no suspension. I let the dealer know my opinion too and at $11,000.00+ I just couldn't see it.