Demo'd a Scag Wildcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished a long demo with a Scag Wildcat (27 hp Kohler/61" deck) - what a NICE, HEAVY BUILT unit. The thing looked and felt like a tank and even the pedal for the deck lift looked heavier than the frame material on some of the units I've tried.

Pro's: Solid feel. An outstandingly GREAT cut in heavy, wet grass. Nice operator control layout. HEAVY DUTY BUILD. :eek: Smooth controls for the speed adjustments. Ultra heavy duty handle assemblies. Easy to trim with. A strato-lounger seat. NICE ride. Extremely stable on inclines. Loved the deck lift/adjustment assembly - very easy to use and get used to.

Con's: Deck did not seem to 'float' as easy as it should, causing it to dig in on a slight rise and scalp, rather than let the gauge wheels carry it on up and over (perhaps a bad setup by the dealer?). Pricey when compared to some other units (but probably worth every penny of it).

After the demo, this unit is most likely the top of my list. I'm going to play with an exMark Lazer 27/60" tomorrow or Thursday. Should be interesting.

Which way would you go?

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We are also looking into Scag and Exmark but leaning towards 52" models of Turf Tiger and Lazer Z HP both with 23 hp. Good luck with the Lazer demo

3. Andy05

Andy05 LawnSite Member

The Wildcat looks like a Cub with 13 more inches of cut...

Haven't used one, but they look appealing

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

andy05 that is what my dealer told me more or less, the wildcat is belt driven where as the tiger is shaft driven, I think its a way to shave some bux off the higher end turf tiger and still be able to make a wide cut. Steve if you get a wildcat I would be interested in how it does for you, I chickened out and got a 48'' cub. No one in my area had bought one and I didnt want to be the 1st. Also I do mostly residential and i was afraid that 61'' would be too much

5. Cuttingedglwncare

Cuttingedglwncare LawnSite Member

When you do a demo how long does it last, 24hr? Because my at my dealer there is no room to demo anything. So I was wondering if you could take it with you for a day or so. Please let me know.

6. Cage

Cage LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Have you thought about trying the new Toro Turbo Force model? You should check that you unit out also. I demo'd this unit earlier this spring and decided to purchase one later this spring. You can control the setting of the baffle for the conditions you want to cut in. Heavy deck 7ga. with huge spindles. Give it a try and let us know your feed back as well.

7. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I demoed a Country Clipper from the Dallas distributor. I guess business is good right now, because they were using all their trailers to deliver sold units and couldn't get back to me for almost two weeks! (maybe it's part of an effective marketing strategy - - two friends were able to try them out and ended up buying). How much was the (pricey) Wildcat? - - the 25/60 Charger was going for under $6400. I never got around to demoing the EverRide Warrior - - but it sure looked impressive!

8. Steve1

I did demo a Toro Z557 (27 Kohler/60" Turbo Force deck). Actually, I wasn't hugely impressed with it - I didn't like the left rear gauge wheel (but it could be removed) because it was too close to the outer edge of the mower. Also, the Kohler seemed a little underpowered - the motor bogged a little too easily I thought in thick grass. The Deere 757 I demo'd the same day on the same lawn breezed right through the same grass and even cut uncut grass that had the Toro's discharge blown into it much easier.

However and in all fairness, the Toro unit even looked rough - I suspect it had had a lot of abuse - one sponge cover on the handle was missing and there was a lot of use/abuse evident on the machine. So - I really don't think it was a fair demo for the Z-master. Therfore, I'm going to another Toro dealer this week to demo a different 557.

The Scag that I demo'd yesterday was awesome and I really was impressed with the Deere 757.

Right now, the Scag is my first pick with the Deere unit a VERY close second. I didn't get to demo the exMark today as hoped for due to rain (yes, even MORE rain).

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Steve

I think it is wise that you will try the Toro again. The ones I demod were very nice mowers. I had several demo's with different decks and engines, and all flowed grass very nice. They chucked the grass further then my Cub, or old Tiger ever have. They cut very clean as well. All my Toro demo's were off in the setup, ie. blade height did not match what it said. A couple had pretty beat up blades and stuff like that. Check to make sure your Demo is set up well, and cutting at the same height as you have been, or this will leave you with the impression that it does not break up the clippings so well, when you were actually cutting a little shorther then normal.

I think if you goof with the deck, it will also help your impression of the machine. I found if I closed down the deck for finer clippings it did a better job overall. I also found with the deck wide open it did a great job in wet/damp grass with lots of weeds much superior to any of the Scags I have owned.

The Wildcat has the same deck as my Cub, just the big brother, and in my experience it will not cut wet grass near as well as the Toro. There is a dealer near me with 5 mowing crews, and he just is trying out 2 27/52 Toros, and his guys love them, and will not give them up. They initially did not want to try them, they wanted Turf Tigers, and now they will not part with them. These guys like them because they make less work for them.

I am not trying to deter you from the Scag, but I am looking right now, and have found several brands of riders that have impressed me very much. I do not see myself buying any Scag riders in my future.

For what it is worth.
    Jay

10. Steve1

Jay, thanks a LOT for your input. I'm planning on demo'ing the other dealer's 757 tomorrow (Friday) as well as an exMark with the same size deck (60") and the same motor (Kohler 27).

I'll let you know how they go - hopefully, the weather will cooperate.