Demo'd Bad Boy 60" Lightening a few days ago,

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdd33333, Sep 9, 2007.

1. jdd33333

jdd33333 LawnSite Member

after reading with great interest the recent threads here related to these mowers.

By the way, this website and you people who post here, are a HUGE help to those of us who are in the market for a ZTR and know nothing about them. I'm learning fast, thanks to you.

I really liked this machine, especially the smooth ride, since I have some very rough areas to mow. However, I'm wondering if anyone here who is familiar with these mowers had the same problem I did. It seems that quite often, from a standing start, one of the drive wheels would spin a little before it "grabbed" and scuff up the grass in the process. I'm speaking here of situations where you are starting off in a direction other than the one which the front wheels are already pointing. This would happen no matter how slowly and carefully I applied the power in some situations.

I've tried several other ZT mower brands and none of them did this. I thought surely something was out of adjustment, but the salesman seemed to think it was normal. I wouldn'nt mind buying this machine, but I have enough trouble maintaining 3 acres of shaded St. Augustine without adding hundreds of skid marks to it every week.

So my question is: Is this normal for a Bad Boy? Your comments are VERY much appreciated.

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Which 60" Lightning was it? The one with the Kawasaki or the Vanguard engine?

3. jdd33333

jdd33333 LawnSite Member

It was the 26 hp kawasaki

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

"one of the drive wheels would spin a little before it "grabbed" and scuff up the grass"
    I don't own any Bad-Boy mowers, but that shouldn't happen on flat ground. :(
    Test drive some other brands before you buy. IMO, get an Exmark, they sell 2to 1 over the next leading brand.

5. Happy Frog

I wonder if it was due to the rear tires having too much pressure or if the soil was really damped.
    Also, it could be due to the weight on the front wheel being higher than on other mowers you've tried. Since the seat is located more toward the front, your body weight could have something to do with it if you are on the heavy side.

6. jdd33333

jdd33333 LawnSite Member

The ground is flat and I reduced the tire pressure to around 10 - 12 lbs. I weigh 175 but I agree that the weight on the front of this mower is more than the others I've tried (Exmark, Ferris, Hustler and Scag Freedom Z). Could that create enough "drag" on the front wheels to cause the problem?

7. Happy Frog

Are the caster wheel spinning freely when off the ground?
    Has anyone else got this problem?
    I would demo another Bad Boy to check if it is a design flaw.

8. jdd33333

jdd33333 LawnSite Member

Good queston- I should have checked that. Also, this unit had the front suspension and I'm wondering if the non-suspension ones have a little different geometry and produce less drag.