Demo'd Hustlers today :-D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dodgeboy, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy LawnSite Member

My buddy and I made it to the Hustler Field Day near Pittsburgh today. I have never used any Hustler equipment or anything else except a push mower until today. lol The controls were real simple to use and get use to. The Super Z is a fine piece of equipment. Along with the whole line of Excels products. They all handled great on relatively steep hills. I do believe I will be purchasing the Hustler 48" Hydro walkbehind here before next summer. I just need a few more lawns so I can pay for it. :) PJ and Scott were real helpfull with their products. Before I do make a purchase, I will demo some other equipment. Althought I think Hustler is the way to go. Thanks PJ and Scott for your help today.
  2. casey

casey Guest

Does anyone who has never met or heard of PJ & owns a Hustler hydro WB have any input on how they perform?
    I am interested but would like more feedback on performance in various turf conditions.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am Pj AKA Mowerconsultant
    I am the resident Hustler factory rep.......:)
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to see there is one factory rep interested enough in his company product and concerned for the customer to be an active member in this forum.

Are you involved with Bacher Corp. of Conn.? I liked the looks of the upper cut unit with the bac-vac but haven't demoed it yet.

5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

In response to your statement about Hustler being interested in its is just the way the entire Husler organization handles itself. They go to were the customers are. The company is excellent to deal with. I cant say enough good things about them.
  6. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

gene gls,
    I think you would be surprised if you knew how many people on this forum were affiliated with a mower company. If they are not members I bet they at least watch the site to see what is being said about their product. Customer feedback is the best way to better a product or find out how to better educate the consumer about your product. There is plenty to be learned here and if a company is not watching they sure are missing out.

7. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Barry Adamski
    Gravely Product Manager
    Walk Products
  8. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I demoed the Hydro WB a year ago on a large cemetary hill that I had the contract for that year. I was impressed with its ability to hold the hill. I had a couple of things I didn't like though. The "twist grip" drive mechanism had more movement than my wrists. If I wanted to go full speed I had to move my hand on the grip and then if I wanted to stop, my degree of movement in my wrist would not take the machine to a stop so I had to let go of the grip. I'm sure I could get used to this if I purchased a unit. The other thing I wish it had was a parking brake. I had to move a branch and the machine rolled down the hill, slowly but it wasn't where I left it.

I was impressed with the cut, the quality and I liked the T handle steering. You now have my feedback.

I must also mention that this is the only WB I have demoed. I have nothing to compare to (gear drive or otherwise) except my DR Field and Brush mower which has no turning brakes or anything. Not a good comparison by any means.

9. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've got the Hydro Walkbehind and the twisting of the grip is nothing I've had an issue with. Shouldn't be a big consideration. Hustler has a parking brake option and I've got it on mine. It is a pretty cool concept. Lets just say that when it is set the mower wouldn't be going anywhere.
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The parking brake is optional............
    Not everyone needs it.
    I dont hear to many people asking for it, but if someone wants it all it takes is bout 15 minutes to install it.