Demo'd New Excavator today

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Oct 17, 2005.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

The local Mustang dealer caught wind of my being in the market for a 12K lb excavator to replace my 331 Bobcat. He dropped off a 5003 11K lb machine. It was bigger than the 331, but I didn't expect much from it. I put it to work for about 1 hr and was very impressed. Now I have never used a brand new machine before, and have used CAT 312, 315's, but for it's size this machine was very nice. Great visibility, pretty good power. Will be demo'ing a CAT 305 this week so it will be an interesting comparison. The Kubota rep won't even bring one out, too bad, I have heard good things about those. What have you guys heard of the Mustang? A little concerned about parts and service. Plus, $55K is a little steep, especially going into winter. Will report back. Thanks for listening to me.
    David

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think you should try out the 305CR from Cat and the 337 from Bobcat, is what I think. :D

In all honesty, I'm not sure about Mustang excavators. I believe they're made by a European company (as are Gehl mini ex's), but I'm not sure entirely on the truthfulness of that. However, the Mustang dealer will probably provide great support and will be looking to get you into the seat of a Mustang SSL in the future if you sign on as a Mustang mini-ex guy.

3. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the Bobcat 435....we tried the 305 too...we got the Bobcat 435, and we own mostly Cat equipment. Price was great and we got good deal on attachments....def. look at Bobcat..had much more bucket break out too, like the 305 was missing something?....

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Mustang SSL are dominant in the market down here but we don't see the mini-x's.

I am very much a "if it aint a CAT its a dog" person but this machine has changed my mind in terms of build quality and reliability. The travel pedals suck though. Its worth a look and the mustang has the same engine.

KX 161-3 045.jpg

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I like Kubota too the foot pedals are a little annoying the 161 is a good sized machine. As for Cat I really not so sure on if I was buying a Wheel Loader or a Bulldozer no doubt Cat all the way for a excavator it would be a Deere or Hitachi mini and fullsize for a mini Kubota.

Their excavators used to be used alot here now it seems Cat is pretty much fallen out of the market prolly 15-20 years ago when Hitachi moved in and pretty much took over the excavator market. John Deere was in the mix and now that they are teamed with Hitachi the sales have increased.

The new contender trying to steal the spot light is Komatsu offering good deals but I really don't think they have the quality.

6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Finally the heavens stopped pouring for a few days and I had a chance to use the CAT 305 today on a job. First off I had my mind made up I didn't want to like this machine, but after 4-5 hours on it, I was pretty impressed. But as fate would have it, the BOBCAT dealer called me during lunch and asked if I had made up my mind on a machine yet. I said no and he wanted to show me his numbers again.Funny thing, he lowered his price on the 337 by $2400 from 2 wks ago. He is pushing a 435ZTS he has on the lot, a very nice machine. But I need something that will go down deep, and that machine goes to only 11' 2". The CAT 11'7". I also met with the Kubota rep today(Bobcat sales literature in hand, had his attention then) and he dazzled me with specs/ $ onthe 161. Goes down to 12'7", heaviest of the bunch at 12,600lbs, and some nice features, and best of all I think the best price for what it is. I am going to grind on the guy to get the price from his original $55,500, with taxes, down to $53,500. The bonus is I have my 331 sold for $500 less than I paid for it in Feb. of this year! Let me know what you guys think.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Try a Takeuchi TB53. It is an awesome excavator. It weighhs 12K and some change. It will amaze you at what it can do.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get the 161 Kubota for a good price go for it I don't think you could go wrong with the Kubota. I would order the machine with steel tracks then the machine will go anywhere and trust me I have seen a 161 in some tough places.

You want the machine piped for a hydraulic thumb and you want the auxilary piping for a compactor or a rock breaker. You do want a hydraulic thumb espcially on a excavator like the 161 that can pick up a decent sized log or rock.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't think you'll have any problems with Kubota, we didn't go that route mainly for dealer support, our local Kubota dealer sucks. Same reason we didn't look at Bobcat or Deere, dealer support is very important. So it sounds like you have decent support, demo the machine and see what happens. I'll second the hydraulic thumb, don't buy a mini without one. And see if you can get the thumb control relocated from the floor up to the right joystick (where it should be!), it makes a huge difference in how fast you can run the machine while placing rock, loading debris, etc. You'd be surprised how much a floor operated thumb hinders speed and agility, it's ridiculous. It cost us $2K to have ours on the joystick, obscenely overpriced but worth every penny IMO.

10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

vntgrcr, :D glad to know you commanded the attention of Kubota. Way to go.