Demo'd the Wildcat today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTAlumnus, Mar 22, 2008.

1. GTAlumnus

GTAlumnus LawnSite Member

I picked up the Wildcat 61" with 26HP Kawasaki liquid cooled engine for a tryout at my place today.

Bad stuff first:

1) First thing I did was pull the seat back all the way and an hour later realized it was up against the radiator. Discolored a spot on the seat in one place, and punched a hole in another place.

2) Had to clean the radiator screen quite often, at least every half hour. I am hoping it was because I was cutting quite a bit of dormant dry grass (mixed in with spring growth) that was very lightweight and flying everywhere, plus it was very windy and the wind would sometimes blow the grass right back at the mower (and me).\

Cleaning it was very easy, just removed the screen and actually blew with my mouth and the little dry stuff was gone.

3) One of the tanks leaked gas around the filler cap. I had filled it up to the bottom of the threads. Also, the caps seem hard to get off, they get tight. The mrs might have trouble with that.

4) This thing really drinks the gas. When I ran out of the first tank (4 gallons) the hour meter read 2.4 hours. There was ALOT of grass cut with those 4 gallons.

5) I'm still having some trouble backing up. It took me a good 10 minutes backing it off the trailer.

6) Not a good mudder, got almost stuck several times in some wet spots and finally stuck it good on the edge of the tank (pond) and had to pull it out with my Kubota B2710.

Now, the good things:

1)AWESOME AWESOME AWSOME, man this thing chews up the grass. It makes my tractor and brushhog seem REALLY slow.

2) Ride is much better than I expected. It is not uncomfortable to operate at all. It had too much air the rear tires (fronts are semi-pneumatic) and the dealer told me I should let some out when I get home. I cut it down to 10 pounds, the manual says 12.

We are keeping it. No way I'm gonna give it up. Hopefully the problems are minor and fixable and I hope the radiator is not a pain.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats about 1.67 gallons per hour. That's normal for a carburated engine of that size. There are some that do better of course.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

took you 10 minutes to back it off the trailer????????????????????????????Lends a lot of credibility to the reat of the comments!

4. GTAlumnus

GTAlumnus LawnSite Member

It actually took about 30 seconds to get it off. On the 40th try.

5. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

some people should truly not be permitted to reproduce!