1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demoed 44" Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I demoed a 44" Toro today. VERY damn impressed with it! It blows the clippings like nothing I have ever used. The lawns I used it on are normally bagged with my Walker. Blowing the clippings with the Dixon, I would have had to triple cut at least, the Toro had it looking GREAT in 1 pass, with very minimal double cutting needed. The vacuum of the deck was also very good. It does not cut as clean as a 48" Walker does, but what does LOL?

Was not impressed with the Kohler POS engine. Luckily the 453 comes with a Kawi :).

My only question is this: how does the Turbo Force deck perform compared to the SFS? I have seen posts on here about a Toro deck doing a god awful job, but I believe that was not a Turbo Force.

I honestly think I would prefer a Toro over a Grasshopper...anyone here run both? Which do you prefer?

Should I buy one, I will be getting a Z453 23hp 52" with the 2 bag (exmark ultravac) bagger. Most likely will have to wait till spring though, as I have GOT to get a 32" WB first.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Turbo force deck is night and day compared to the sfs deck. The Turbo force deck is awsome! Wish I had a good local dealer for them who actally stocked them.
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i love the toro machines, i have one now that has a turbo force on it and love it, the best part about their w/b's is the controls, imo (and ive used every type w/b control out there, w/ the exception of the quick mowers and the V-pro) and i like them more than any of the others. i wouldnt get the 52" model though, ive had 48" and 52" w/b's and dont see any more productivity out of the extra 4". i do see more scalping though, and it doesnt make for as versatile of a mower.
  4. KS_Grasscutter

Heck I was impressed with the SFS, the TF has got to be AWESOME.

My lawns are all nice and flat, shouldn't have too much trouble with scalping. On the WB's, how much does the T-bar cost over the pistols. Thinking about just a pistol/belt/32 since I won't use it terribly much. Got just enough 3 foot gates that it sucks tremendously to use the 21" on them all.
  5. dura to the max

from georgia

i dont know about cost, i bought mine used. but i beleive that they are very comparable. the t-bar is night/day better than the pistols. the pistols will literally kill your hands after months of use.
  6. KS_Grasscutter

Any other opinions/experience with Toro Z's?
  7. dura to the max

from georgia

i have a 52" z right now. turbo force deck and i love it. same mower as the exmark, just a different deck. great cut and is the best cutting deck on bahaia as far as i know.
  8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Toro Z with the Turboforce deck and I actually enjoy mowing with it. As opposed to finding it acceptable, that is. I haven't used it with the bagging system yet, so I don't know whether the discharge adjustment is worth the while, but it goes really fast, gives a great cut, and is designed with ease of maintenance in mind.
    Now if I could just find an after-market seat which will keep me from seeing stars every time I hit a rut at full speed..........:dizzy:
  9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We have a 52" and 60" Turbo Force and we love them. Same as you lawns we use to have to double or triple cut are done in 1 pass now. Ive never run a walker, but these leave a very nice cut, especially on nice lush lawns. I honestly thought double cutting or bagging was just part of the deal, not anymore.
  10. Four Seasons Lawn

Four Seasons Lawn LawnSite Member

I have both a Toro and a Grasshopper and here is my thoughts on both of them. The Toro is a Z557 60" Turbo Force and the Grasshopper is a 721 D 60". The Grasshopper is a dog in wet grass but does well in most other conditions on certain yards. Has a great bagging system and a lot of versatility with attachments and the outfront deck helps under bushes and other places the Toro cant get. The Toro is a cuttin machine!! Doesnt make any difference if its wet or dry it'll go thru it and the quality of the cut is much better. Yards that I would have to double cut with the Grasshopper I just make one pass with the Toro. While I still like my Grasshopper I believe I would go with the Toro. Just make sure it has the Turbo Force on it.