1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demoed a 32" Ferris hydro today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Feb 24, 2004.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for responding to my previous post. I sort of demoed it today. I got to drive it around the parking lot. I was very impressed with the mower. It turned great, really not much effort at all. Strong 13hp kawasaki v-twin. Even though I was impressed, I still have some concerns about pulling a sulky(the rep said that you still could, you just would'nt be as effective), also concerned about the hill mowing capability. I currently have a 36" toro floating deck with 15hp kohler and was really wanting to sell it and get a full hydro or an exmark metro. For guys who have used the ferris, would you recommend the 32" or 36" ferris hydro over my toro belt drive. I would love to have the 32" viking but just cant afford it. My dealer has the ferris 32" for $2200 and the 36" for $2800. He also said that the new 36" was going to hav ethe same controls as the 32" and was going to the 13hp kawa v-twin instead of the regular 13hp. I need help fast, I have to decide by the end of the week.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the 36 lonnie if ya can afford it. Ferris considers the 32 more residential. BTW, every one here knows I speak for Ferris more than anyone.
  3. lonnie

Is $2800 a good price on the 36"? Excellent dealer service.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is..and dealer service means so much too
  5. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

$2800 sounds like a very good price for that 36".
    I paid $3500 7 years ago for mine. Maybe its time for me to consider a new one for that price.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it finally happened. There is now 2 ferris dealers in this area. Nobody else would I have listened to, but for my friend Rod I will try one out at some point.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinking about getting the 32" . Why do they consider it a residential, isn't it the same as a 36" but smaller deck or am I missing something?
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It's also available under Snapper and Simplicitys names. Check out their websites for pics and info.

I like the looks of the controls on the Snapper version better.
  9. lonnie

I have to clarify something about the prices I listed earlier. The 36" with brakes and the regular 13hp kawa with true fixed deck is only 2319 and the 36" with the handles like the 32 and raiseable deck like the 32 and 13 kawa v-twin is $2800. I really wanted the 32" but cannot convince myself to get it over the 36" because it is freaking 37" wide with the deflector up. I wanted a 32" so I could sell my 36" and get to places that I could not get into, but my 36" is narrower than the ferris.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I take the deflectors off my mowers, but I know that not everyone approves of that. If that's not for you, perhaps you could figure a way to make it come off faster? Not sure how that one is mounted, but maybe you could come up with some hardware to make it come off and go back on with the simple pull of a pin or something along those lines?

Seems a shame to have to go with the 36" mower if that's not really what you wanted, because of a deflector.

How will you handle the gates under 36" then? Use a 21" mower? I'd rather take the minute to remove and replace the deflector on the 32" mower then have to use a 21" mower.