Demoed a Bunton walk with ZTR type controls. Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Nov 23, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yesterday I demoed (just around the parking lot, no cutting) the new Bunton walkbehind with Z controls. These are just like the controls on a rider. (Let me know if you need to see a pic of it.)

Overall, I liked the machine a lot. There seems to be NO pressure on the hands, arms, wrists, at all. I could get totally smooth, slow turns on turf with no divots.

The machine DID feel a bit touchy to me, I think that may be because I wasn't totally used to it, only demoed it for about 30 minutes. I haven't used riders either, so am not used to ZTR controls.

Does anyone else have one of these Bunton walks with the Z controls? How do you like it?

I have an ExM ECS right now, it's just too hard on the hands. So I think next year it will be the Bunton or the Cub Cadet, which I have not demoed yet.
  2. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in the reponse to this also. One of the dealers around here carries bunton. I also like the controls, but don't know how it cuts or anything.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Bunton walk behinds are the same as the Bob-Cats. Both are made by Textron and both are the same machine but just a different color. From what i've heard the Bob-Cats have a great cut quality and are very good mowers.
  4. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I know what you mean about the sesitivity aspect. I just got a Bunton hydro and frankly I can't seem to get used to it. I had an old Encore belt drive and loved that thing very easy on the hands and a heckuva lot lighter and more manuverable. I am going to fix the decompressor in my old mower and sell the bunton hydro. Frankly it is just to powerful for the small residential lots I do anyway. It is more suited for someone that wants to ride a sulky. I like to walk so the beltdrive mower is perfect for me.
  5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you are right!!! The Bunton mowers are almost the same as the Bob-Cat mowers. i have a Bob-Cat WB, and I love it!!! It has a quality of cut and striping that is far superior to all other brands. My Bob-Cat is built like a tank!!! Either a Bob-Cat or a Bunton mower would serve you very well!!!
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I asked about the Bunton w/new controls quite a while back. I saw them on the Bunton site and thought maybe someone had one. As for the pictures, yeah I'd like to see some of it. You can't tell crap about it from the web-site. It sucks.
  7. naturescape

Actually, I was just going to direct you to their web site for pictures. Sorry.

However, the handles look and perform exactly like ZTR controls. To set the top speed, there is a rest that will stop the levers from going too far forward; this is set by loosening a wing nut and moving the bar forward or back.

I have a feeling this is going to be my new mower for next year. Anyone else demo one of these?
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah, I'd like to know more too, like what sizes are available?

web site implies ztr type controls are only available on 61" deck???
  9. naturescape

Apparently, no one on Lawnsite has bought or demoed one of these mowers but me.

Or, if they have, maybe they are keeping the secret to themselves?