Demoed a Cheetah today.... My review....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by THEGOLDPRO, Aug 27, 2012.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like we have a winner. Like i said, its a good mower and would be perfect for guys who mow fields/dont double cut, its a great mower just not for my application. I prefer the more manicured look of an exmark.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

get a scag or deere and use G6 blades and you get the best of both worlds lol.

3. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the best it has ever been explained in the difference between the two.
    I had a guy argue with me not to long ago saying he would take his velocity any day vs my clumping Ex. His words.. Saying that i have to double cut everything. But like you said the velocity is designed to move the grass out quickly leaving large blades of grass on top of what has already been mowed. Dry or wet you still have to double cut with it as well if not you would be left with a bunch of dead clippings on top of the lawn..

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

The way scag designed the discharge opening on the velocity deck "fans" the clippings. This almost eliminates the need to double cut. Honestly I double cut maybe 3 times per season. I cut in all conditions including rain. Clumping with the velocity is a rarity, maybe once per season. You do give up some of the smooth carpet like cut in perfect conditions but its a trade off. The ultra cut will give you that pool table smooth cut but lacks the versatility in tough conditions. Here in NH we rarely have perfect conditions and double cutting means not moving on to the next job.

Now I have found the deck that is the best of both worlds. The Gravely X-Factor almost cuts as good as the velocity in tough conditions and almost as good as the ultra cut in perfect conditions. My customers have been extremely happy and I stay efficient!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

Put a $500.00 SCAG striping kit on, an it will be just as nice as ExMark.

6. kawasaki guy

Also, put on aftermarket blades too. I hear they would help.

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

My $75 Gravely stripe kit lays some mean stripes. Check out my 2012 work thread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. kawasaki guy

Scag might maker cheaper stuff, but that is the one I know of