1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demoed a Ferris IS 2000Z today...wow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Aug 10, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

...61"/25hp Kaw. I was impressed with the suspension, definelty makes a differance in the ride. I also really liked the hydraulics, nice and resposive. The quality of cut was o.k. considering I was mowing at full speed 90% of the time. I was wondering however, whats the longivity of the suspension, after 1500 or so hours, how does it hold up? Also, Ferris owners, what are your expiriences and opinions good or bad. Thanks!!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've been running Ferris exclusively for like 14 years now, over 20 machines total. I know what you mean about the IS2000. We had one for 7 weeks field testing it for Turf Magazine this year.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned some ferris I/S machines before the B/S days and had bad luck with them. However I do think they have improved them. However I am still hesitant in buying one for what I do and the reason for this is one of the shops I deal with has one of my competitors ferris I/S 4000 with 609 hrs on the machine the suspension is shot and the front castors have been broke off and rewelded. For normal lawncare mowing they are very good machines for the stuff that I mow I just do not think they will live long enough for me to justify them again. The ferris 4000 that is being worked on belongs to a company that mowes a section of the same stuff I do so it makes a good comparison for me!
  4. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Ive seen that ferris you are talking about. The 4000IS had seen a very rough life. That dealer did not hesitate on showing me that mower with the suspension cut off and everything wrong with it when he heard I was shopping around. I believe they are just using it as a tool to get customers to buy theirs and stay away from their competition.
  5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a is4500 last week and was very inpressed with the ride. I was able to run full speed on propertys that I normally have to slow way down on. The time it saved was impressive. The cut was real good for what I was cutting. But I also wondered the same thing about the suspension life expentancy. All the other dealers bad mouth Ferris, but they don't have anything to compare with it either. I have several large propertys, and spend hours sitting on my mowers, so I am tempted to buy it for the time it would save, plus I didn't feel beat up at the end of the day. On small properties the advantages probubly wouldn't show up as much.

If you are looking at the same machine I was that was similar to the problems I had with the exception of hydro belts, pumps. and the decks would bend easy! Like I said the mowing that I do is not like your average lawn cutter so a person usually would not see that kind of mowing. But again at 600hrs suspension was and is shot on that machine!

Green Acre

Actually there is an alternative to the IS mowers we have been running Prowlers with the articualting front end on them it acts as suspension and sure eliminates scalping. And so far with the exception of flat tires no problems.

Bye the way at least the dealer had something to show you instead of bad mouthing the machine like all the other guys do. When I started running Dixie Choppers years ago I ran into that.
  8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I took a look a the ZTR IS Ferris...Never test drove it but did look hard at The Susspension...Heck It look well built to me...Also I noticed that you can ajust the firm ness of your ride...Changing the shocks or springs I dont think would be a big deal...Imay take one for a test ride this week.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

1500z with 700 hrs on it no roblems except the carb was all fed up but that a kaw problem. The only problem with ferris is quality of cut you o to fast and h cut suffers but thats what te suspnson gets you producivity. Plu the tri agger is a beast ext year I am really trying to add the 3000z.