Demoed a FTSD with some issues

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Langford2000, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I recently demoed a FTSD 23/48 because my Dad was looking to buy a mower for his home use. I picked the mower up on a short turn around from the dealer and was given a set of aftermarket notched high lifts to replace the factory blades which needed sharpened. Went to first account and the cut was so bad that the mower went on the trailer and I finished with my Ferris. I called the dealer and was told that I was given the correct blades but they were aftermarket so ?????. Due to the fact that all I have heard about the FT and FTSD were good things I went home and sharpened the factory solid blades and installed them. Completely differend machine! The cut was where it should be and what I originally expected. Long story short my Dad got a new FTSD 25/54 for fathers day and is very happy. He took it home before I could get any pics.

Just thought I would share that with anyone who is considering the FT or FTSD. Now if I could work only work a deal to put a Super Z on the trailer life would be great:rolleyes:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The correct blades make the difference, I am glad you put them on and found it to cut right.
    Congrats to your dad !!!
    Now you can work that deal to get yourself a Super Z... :clapping:

3. Langford2000

Well the deal fell through on the SZ. I guess the Ferris will have to do for now.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

That sucks.
    What kind of deal was it?

5. Langford2000

I offered a 06 Ferris IS2000Z 25Kaw 61" with 200 hrs (warranty til 03/09) and a 06 6.5x12 open trailer with trimmer rack, tool box, and 2' sides plus whatever additional $$$ for a 08 27/60 sz. The dealer told me with the economy bad he didn't want to take a trade and wouldn't even give me a $ figure. Thing about it with the multi unit rebate due to the purchase of the SD and I was willing to give him up to $1000, then the trade in value for the above equipment was only $6100 for both. Oh well, no yellow paint for me.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I cant blame a dealer for not wanting to trade on a higher dollar trade in, if theres a chance he cant turn it around quickly, dealers are still hurting from the drought last year and as you mentioned the economy isn't so great either.

Pj

7. Buckhauler

Buckhauler LawnSite Member

I bought an 08 Fastrack 21/54 and while I love it in almost every way, I can't get it to stripe worth a darn. I had a 48" walk behind previous to this and was able to lay a good stripe. I would like to know what if anything I could do to get the FT to stripe better. Im cutting at 3.25" here in NY. Thanks.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

A stripe kit (when they become available from us) would work.
    Checking the deck pitch may help also.

Pj