1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

demoed a GD Super surfer...PRODUCT REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, May 30, 2003.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I will be getting another machine in the near future so i took the opportunity to demo a super surfer. I had it for 2 days so it wasn't just a quick ride. I used it on residentials commercials and apartments. The res. & commercials are done on weeklys the apartments are on 10 day.

First impression. This is fun!

52" 17 hp Kawasaki in thick tall grass it was a little under powered, for a lawn that is kept weekly it was fine. It is well built and looked sharp. I am 6'1" and my helper is 6'6" we both found after about 30 min our back started to hurt a bit from hunkering for the controls. On rough yards it was no fun at all. And you had to look out for a few (*^& limbs for sure. I did not like the deck lift at all you just cant raise it to go over an obstacle a root or something, for transporting I just used a couple of extra bolts to hold the deck in the highest position. But 60% of my lawns are apartments and I have to lift the deck to jump curbs, sidewalks, and such. On hills I didn't like it, would spin and loose traction. I'll stick to a walk-behind if my Chariot wont do it. It was a lot more work then a Z rider so fatigue will figure in.

It was good for the residentials and commercials I did. Unload drop the deck and mow. Raise deck load and go. You can hop off very ea-sly and back on.

All in all, if I got a rally good deal on one yes I would but one. But for the extra $$ I will be buying another Z rider. I figure each machine will last 2000 hours and its worth a buck an hour to sit on my butt, I will be fresher to weed eat or blow and edge.

I could use one all day on smaller places but on complexes where I would be on it for an hour or two I just didn't like it.

Yes I recommend it to those of you who are doing lawns and yards upto an acre, it is fast and did a great job of cutting and striped pretty well with the grass we have here (it dosn't stripe well).

The one thing it did prove to me is I HAVE GOT TO GET ANOTHER MACHINE! My crew of 3 doubled our gross for the 2 days I had it!!

But these are just my opinions You should try one for yourself!