demoed a HUSTLER

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, Jul 28, 2002.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

While mowing the local Wendy's friday the Hustler rep was across the road, and I got a chance to demo a Hustler "Z" not the super z though. We took it to an apartment complex I do and put it on a rough, fairly steep hill side. The hill is 300' long by about an average width of 60' with a slope of up to 25 deg. as measured by a slope meter we put on the mower.

Both mowers are close to the same mine a 25hp kohler powered 61" Great Dane Chariot. The Hustler a 23hp Kawsaki 60" cut.

The grass was a bit damp with dew so that just added to the test. Having done the hill several times with mine and demoing a snapper out front Z on it a couple of years ago. I think it is a fair challange.

The Hustler held the hill well, mowed good, and bogged just a bit in tall bramuda. It was very comfortable with a suspension seat. the controls are easly accessable to the right of the operater though the blade button was just a bit far back for me it posed no problem is getting to. The deck wis lighter metel then my GD but is extreamly well reinforced. Very well built and strong, I would recommend the mower to anyone. I will look at them again when I get ready to upgrade in the next couple of years. My dislike of the machine is the lap bar control levers, they are like the other machines I have tried, it almost seams lioke swimming compaired to the short throw of the sticks of my Great Dane.

If my dealer sold both at the same price, I don't know which I would choose. I do like my GD but with John Deere who knows whats going to happen.

Like I said I was not looking to trade at this time but whem I do I WILL look at hustler.

My Thanks to Kenny with Sooner dist out of Oklahoma, While I was not looking for another mower he could have said to call him when I was in the market but he took the time to let me play for a few minuts.

The funny thing though was to watch the experssion on the face of my nephew when he broke traction and went down the hill half a$$ed backward!!! Sorry Kenny missed it.