Demoed a JD 54" Quick Track today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassaholic, Sep 29, 2004.

1. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Like the title says I demoed the John Deer 54" Quick Track today. I was really looking forward to demoing this mower and was ready to buy one until I used it. I guess I'll start by telling you what I liked about the mower. The mower seems well built and has plenty of power with the 23 HP Kawasaki. The 7 Iron deck left a very nice cut and I liked the way the height adjustment worked. Overall it is a very nice mower. Now for the reasons I won't be buying a JD Quick track.

First of all I don't think the deck sticks out far enough to trim along beds and around trees. I was able to go around trees with larger mulch beds around them but most of the smaller ones the rear tire would end up in the bed screwing the mulch up. The second problem is weight distribution and the location of the drive tires. I've never run a hydro drive walk behind or rider that spins the tires so easily. I used this mower for the entire day and got a chance to use it on some hills that I thought it should be able to handle. I was wrong! My Walker riding mower with a 52" side discharge deck handles the hills better than the JD. IF you try to go downhill with the JD you better forget about trying to turn on the hill. When I did all I got was a bunch of tirespin. I ended up going to the bottom to turn around. I will say that the JD will climb any hill I tried going forward but thats it. All day long this mower kept dissapointing me with its lack of traction.

I really thought by the end of the day I would be signing the papers to take it home. I guess I'm going to give the Wright Stander a try next. It looks to me like the drive tires on the Wright Stander are moved forward in front of the operator and more importantly under the motor. The drive tires on the JD are behind the operator and pretty far from the engine. I guess I'll find out soon when I demo a Wright Stander. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

2. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

u better think twice before you get a wright stander. I demoed a 36" and there not that great. It seemed unstable like am i or am i not going 2 fall in some situations. Also, be careful that when u take it on & off your trailer that u don't catch the rear part of the deck where the gate meets the floor of the trailer. Also if you think that your gonna stop on hills u got another thing comin, i tried to make 1 pass gown a small hill & back up in reverse...... tires just spinned, no traction at all, i actually went off the curb with it. If i were u i would stick with the walker, i'd take a walker over a stander any day, or just get a bob-cat wb.

- Matt

3. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

I rented a Quick track for a day and didn't like it either. Lots of spinning wheels. I couldn't hold a hill to save my life. Glad to know it wasn't just me!

4. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx for the responses. Bugaboo, I'm glad to hear that you had the same results. I was hoping it wasn't just the way I was operating it. :cool:
    Ince8728, It's good to know that about the Standers. I'm still going to demo a 52", but from what you said I probably won't like it either. I would stick with the Walker but they are expensive and my dealer support is terrible here in southwest Ohio. The closest dealer is 45 min. away and they are a very small operation. If something does break on the Walker chances are they don't have it in stock, their 1 loner mower is already out, if they do have the part it's a long drive. I'll probably just get another Exmark 52" with the ECS grips and a Velke. The 20 HP that I have now kicks some ass. My dealer told me that it comes with a 23 HP now! :cool2:

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The reason the tires spun on the JD QT is because of weight distribution. Notice that the rear tires are set at least 6" back away from the deck. This is because of a patent problem with the Wright Stander. Unlike the Stander, the QT has way more weight on the front tires, and less weight on the rear tires, thereby causing a loss of traction compared to the Stander.

You will love mowing with a 52" Stander. The 48" has a slower blade tip speed. Be sure to buy one with a 25hp Kawasaki. It is only $200 more than the 23hp, and very well worth it.

You can go downhill with a Stander, but it just can't be a very steep hill. I have a Sentar and go down hill all the time. You will soon learn when a hill is too steep to go down, because you will leave skid marks in the grass.

Also, as soon as you get your machine, be sure to put a HD air filter on it to extend the life of the engine and to also save you money on filter elements.

....just my 5c.

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Our Exmark Turf Tracer's 52 & 60's with 23 hps kick butt.
    It comes on a bigger frame with the same deck as the ztr's and will hold hillsides great. You won't be dissapointed as long as you have a good dealer to work with.

7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I have two origional Great Dane Surfers. WONDERFUL !!! I bought a JD QT 657 pos. as described above...too much weight on the front casters. I tried a Wright stander when they first came out. I liked my origional surfers much better,(ergonomics) but I think I'll have to try them again.