demoed a lesco Ztr today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i demoed a lesco Z2 today and thought i would tell u guys what i thought of it. it was the 60" with a 25hp kawaski. to tell u the honest truth i hate the mower. i found that the cut quality was very poor and the stripes that it layed down were very poor. after using it for a couple of hours my arms were tired becase i think the joystiks are sping loaded becasue when u let go of them it gos back to nuteral so my arms are tired becasue of holding them fowared. also the machine road extreamly ruff it was so ruff that my back hurts now from rideing on it. so now i know why thses machines are so low priced. i have the mower for the weekend but i think i'm going to park it and go back to the bob-cat. well thats my 2 cents
    don't mind the spelling
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Consider yourself lucky they even let you demo it. Local places won't allow demo's and then when I spoke with a regional rep I was promised something would be done to allow for a demo. That was all of a year ago.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They are not low priced because they are made cheap.:rolleyes:

They are low priced because Lesco buys them straight from CTP. There is no middle man (distributor) that sells the machines to the dealers like there is with the Cub Commercial machinesso therefore that makes the Lesco's lower priced.

Everything you said seems to contradict everything i've heard about them on here. The rough ride was probibly due to over inflated tires.

How much grass was you cutting off? They are excellent cutting machines probibly one of the best from what i've been hearing about them from so many different people. If the unit you were using was a demo unit with some hours on it maybe the blades were dull or there was grass build up under the deck. The poor cut and poor stripe could come from an improper deck pitch. Most mower decks are 1/8"-1/4" lower in the front. that makes them cut and discaharge better and lay a better stripe.

As for the control levers most machines on the market are spring loaded and return to neutral when you let off of them. That is a safety feature so the springs would make the levers a little harder to push.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, sounds like you need to break out a tire pressure gauge, a ruler and possibly a wrench or two. I'm betting it has 20-25 PSI in the tires, dull blades and the deck is in need of a proper setup adjustment.

As for the controls, no they are not spring loaded... they have dampners only.
    Sounds like they could be mounted too tight and in a bind or bad.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the above poster. Every mower I have bought brand new had the tires overinflated big time, deck was not even close to the right pitch. The last mower I bought (737) the first thing I did was check the tires and deflate and adjust the deck, was over 1/2 inch off on the left side. I have never tried a Lesco but have heard good things about them. Oh yeah, the sticks on all 3 of my Z,s were tight for about 2 days then loosened up except the 737, had to adjust them also. DO NOT trust the dealer to get the deck right, they cant do it (or mine cant).