Demoed CAT 272c with mulcher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Jan 19, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Just demoed a CAT 272c with mulcher.
    Very impressed with improvements over the B series.
    I am making a direct comparison to my s300k series and a 272c both set up for mulching. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to demo my CAT mulcher but they had the bradco/magnum. It performed better than I had expected. I really think the CAT hydraulics beat my Bobcat hands down. Need to grind something real quick with s300 to compare again. Both milled stumps about the same but the CAT did recover much quicker and I felt I had power to spare. Could move the machine and keep mulcher RPMs up. Can't do that with my Bobcat. It seems to take a lot to move the S300 with a heavy head on it. I have run 2 s300k's with mulchers and both seem like dogs compared to the 272c.

Felt clean after an hour of mulching. CAT cab is sealed up well though I haven't figured out how they achieve "sealed and pressurized". The windows and door seal up very similar to the Bobcat but with dust blowing towards the door, nothing entered the cab whereas on my Bobcats you can see dust particles in the cab in most instances.

The 272c seemed more stable on slopes and the air ride is much better than mechanical suspension. I braced myself for areas that would hurt my back in the s300 only to find out the CAT bounced but the seat absorbed all the impact. Good idea CAT.

It is easier to engage the hydro system in the CAT and though I like the bobcat's instrument cluster, the CAT is simple and effective. Cab seems small for a big man, however and leg room isn't all that great for a 6' person but not having to use my feet seemed to be a plus.

Time will tell and I am going to schedule a longer demo where I can dig and compare the power. Too wet yesterday to move dirt but my first impressions were that this was a machine that I could enjoy operating.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

can only chime in on my 297C:drinkup:

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear you liked it Yellowdog. You know something a skid steer and a CTL has a rougher ride than most types of equipment out there. Thing is though I think all of these companies could learn allot just by looking inside of a newer cab farm tractor. I mean most of this stuff is already in tractors such as the air ride seats and being able to adjust the speed of your hydraulics up and down. A tradional tractor also has no suspension. They are desiged to run as fast as they can now days pulling equipment and still not kill you at the end of the day. I remember back when my buddy bought a 9500 John Deere combine. Man you could run that machine all day and night and that cab would stay clean. To me there is allot to be learned from some of the stuff off farm machinery. Seems that the construction side has been slower about adopting allot of this stuff. Im seeing some of it now come over but there is no reason they could have not had the stuff 12 years ago. Deere has had GPS, autosteer, and have even seen videos of them running up and down the fields with no drivers.

5. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Good point. My friend runs a new mahindra with cab and air. Really comfy looking cab and seat. Don't think it's air seat but the tires give enough for shock absorbing. Some of the foreign companies seem to be on the ball for ergonomics.

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Hmmm. Interesting. I think the 272 c is good to go with power to weight ratio. If they kept the weight down and put a slightly bigger displacement motor in, they could have a real powerhouse. I don't think lift capacity for skids really needs to be more than 3300-3500 lbs. That is pushing it for what many of us do anyway and we all know we can lift more than ROC if you are in the right conditions anyway. I would still like to see 99hp net in a skid that weighs 8300 -8500 lbs.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Very sweet JD!

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you want to do some heavy duty mulching, step up to a Fecon FTX140 mulcher.It has a 140 HP, John Deere diesel in it. I just started a clearing job with one this past Tues. What a machine. The trees and brush are so thick I can not see past the mulching head. It is like driving into a wall. I am still able to clear about 4 acres/day, even in these heavy conditions. It works great on anything up to about 8". Above that size, it will work, but it the progress is a lot slower.

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I'm just not into a dedicated unit at this time due to weight and limit of uses.
    I also shear and chip with a BC2000 chipper with loader for the bigger trees. It's a lot cleaner than mulching the trees in place and a lot of my customers actually prefer the shear/chip method. I mainly grind brush piles and occasionally grind a whole building lot but not often unless it's the small stuff with occasional larger trees. Though I hate tree shearing, it is such a clean way to clear and their isn't a thick litter of shreds. Some areas need the shreds but many do not. We find a myriad of uses for the chips, however, and most of the customers don't mind them being left though some pay me to haul them off.

If I was going into a dedicated mulcher, I would look at the 175hp and above range so that I could really do some damage.