1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demoed FErris 3000 ZX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLH, Sep 4, 2004.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

Yesterday local Ferris Dealer and Distributor Rep brought Demo 3000ZX to my property for demo.

Upon their arrival I was using my Father's Scag Turf Tiger which was in the process of jarring and shaking me like a bucking bronc.

I was considering purchasing a new turf tiger 61" 27 hp kohler, but wanted to try the Ferris with Independent susp. (IS)

I was amazed at the difference in the ride, I could run the Ferris full forward speed, whereas with the scag I had to run much slower and sit taller and try to brace myself for the ruff ride.

There are several thngs I like better about the scag mowers,

driveshaft to deck
    outside spindles easier to access
    deck feels more solid
    100% confidence in dealer and service after sale, I'm related

Ferris 300 ZX

The ride was superior without question
    foot platform is more comfortable
    seemd to run quieter with the 27hp verses 25hp on scag
    outside spindles not as accessable as scag

How can I decide between the two models? It's hard for me to bring myself to buying the scag knowing how good the Ferris rode.

Would the scag suspinsion seat make the ride equal to the Ferris?

Undecided, please offer your advice fron experience.

2. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

you should demo the new turf tiger and go from there
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Any mower that uses low-profile tires will shake you quite soundly as you mow. A suspension seat will help... some. I suggest you demo a Dixie Chopper and a Wright Stander.

The Dixie uses ATV tires which act as shock absorbers. The Stander allows you to stand and bend your knees to absorb the jarring with your leg muscles. I myself find standing to be less tiring than sitting.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes a suspension seat will help a lot! There is some truth to the dixie tires but the ride is still going to be choppeier than the machines with a full suspension seat.
  5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Ferris for the ride. I have the IS 3000 with rear independant and front pivoting axle It actually rides smoother than the front coil over model. I drove both the same day one after another on the same ground. As far as the drive shaft. In my opinion this is not an advantage. The deck still has a belt . The ferris has one belt only so actually has less moving parts and no drive shaft splines to wear or u-joints to replace also the belt doesn't require lurication as the drive shaft does. I previously had a Kubota ZD-21 It has a shaft and was a pain to grease. Just my 2 cents.
  6. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

In a couple of year the IS goes out on those Ferris and will end up costing you around 1200 dollars to replace it. Keep that in mind when you purcahse the ZRT.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

First I've heard of that...
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There was one other report here at Lawnsite earlier this year about the springs sagging and that they needed to be replaced.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Just like a car.

Oh envy
    Take a look at the EGDE cutting deck on the L130 deere. Its 17100 Fpm Blade speed. Not bad for a Lawn tractor.
  10. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies!