Demoed Hustler XR7 Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Apr 18, 2006.

1. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so i demoed this new hustler. 25hp Kaw. 60" XR7 deck Supper Z.

Things i didnt like were:
    1. The muffler sounded like it has a whole in it. Sounded like a dixie chopper when you used it hard. I hate the way dixie choppers sound!
    2. When you engaged the blades the motor almost completely dies.

Things i did like:
    1. I was cutting grass that was about 8-10 inches tall and didnt get a singel clump.
    2. Wet grass did NOT stick to the deck at ALL!!!!!!!!!
    3. 15 mph ground speed
    4. The quality of cut is Great!!!! (puts exmarks to shame... expecily in wet grass)
    5. Striped great!!! Love the striping roller that they have!

All in all a very good machine. I will be buying one at the end of this season or the beginning of next season! One word of advice. If you find a good dealer no matter what the brand... stay with them. My dealer went out of his way to put sharp blades on and gas the machine up so that i could run all day and not have to worry about anything. The mower was given to me all dirty because the guy that dropped it off this morning didnt clean it or anything. I told the dealer that i would power wash it before i gave it back so that he could set it on the show room floor if he wanted too and he told me that i didnt need to, but i did anyways lol. I filled it back up and found a nail in the tire that the guy before me had ran over... so i bought the dealer a new tire just to be nice and say thanks for all his hard work. Just remember if you have a good dealer... keep him in business!

any questions just ask

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

How was the power? I have a 25hp Kawasaki on my 260Z and it's underpowered in some conditions.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for trying out a new XR-7 unit!

4. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

How far upstate are you. Are you ever in the southern tier area demoing. I dont know of any Hustler dealer around. I am near Olean NY.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion, your dislikes are typical of the 25hp Kawasaki.

You have to run more RPM for deck engagement than you would think.
    I think it's because they just make no torque at engagement RPM.
    So they choke and want to stall.

Kawasaki's are loud engines in my opinion and the they tend to sound very hollow, ricey or tinny when piped through most exhausts. The exhausts that don't sound bad like that are still loud with Kawi's.

You might want to buy a Kolher powered unit when you get one.
    My guess is the exhaust will sound better.

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

4. The quality of cut is Great!!!! (puts exmarks to shame... expecily in wet grass)

That's all I needed to hear !!! :clapping:
    I was planning on going with a bigger engine anyway.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I live in Syracuse, e-mail me your information, we are adding dealers in NY all over the place.

8. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The power was very good. I was cutting 8-10 inches off all day and i harldy even noticed that i was cutting that much! After cutting wet THICK grass form the morning dew i looked under the deck and there was NO grass under there! I love the striping roller too.

Envy Lawn Service,

I plan on getting the Kohler. I have a kaw. on my walkbehind and have never been a fan of it. Its hard to start and its loud!!!

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had the 25 Kawasaki on a 60" Super Z and if you get a chance to try the 28 efi you will think you have a 35 hp engine in comparison. I have the 66" XR-7 deck and the 28 efi is amazing on this mower.

10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 2006 27/60 XR7 today. This is my 3rd Super Z. It's a nice machine.