Demoed Lesco ZTR today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NBLL, Nov 25, 2002.

1. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a ZTR to start the season off next year. Had never used one except for driving a friend's around a parking lot. This was the Lesco Zero-2 60". That's the only size they had as a demo. I currently have two 48" exmark walk-behinds. My original thinking was to get a 48" ZTR so I could mow with either and stripes would be the same and it wouldn't scalp like a bigger deck, but the deck did better than I expected for a 60" on some of the uneven areas. There were places where the walkbehinds dig in where this went right over and didn't even scalp. My bigger properties are around 1 acre and I saved about 15 minutes with the 60" ZTR over the 48" walk behind. I guess my next question is how much of this is because of the speed of the ZTR and how much is because of the inches. I guess I need to try a 52" and a 48" ZTR on the same properties and compare. What are your suggestions??:confused:

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

how'd you like the machine you tried?

GEO

3. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I liked the power and the cut but I don't think it striped quite as well as the wb. It also scooted the inside wheel quite a lot when turning but thats probably due to my inexperience handling a ZTR and left some muddy foot prints when I crossed driveways and walks. From what I've seen I like Scag and Exmark too and will try to demo both these in the near future.

4. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

put high lift baldes on it and it will stripe as good as anything else.mine does

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i will say it agian. If you are buying or not buying a machine because of how it stripes or lack of, thats lame. Lines are nice, but i doubtk any clients would complane if they did not have lines in their yard.

6. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

Stripes were just an observation not a deciding factor. I can always add rollers or hi-lifts as longview recommended. My main issue is the time saved over the wb worth the money spent and for the money how big of a deck should I get? Another reason for the ZTR is I recently purchased a spraying/fertilization business and have an attachment to mount a boom sprayer and spreader on a ZTR. I also want to check out the other brands. Lesco has an excellent price. How is their quality compared. Just like the deck size to price and speed if the other brands have higher quality and performance how much more do I want to pay:confused:

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

That Lesco should already have rollers mounted on the deck. Let me see if I have a pic of the rollers. Mine stripes excellant.

mvc-011s.jpg