Demoed My First Walker Today... and

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nes-Tech, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

It Will be the Last!
    Quality of cut was very nice, (But it should be on a new machine, lol) I am use to Mid mount (Hustler Super Z), I really did not care for the seating position or the fact my feet were riding on the deck going up and down with every bump in the lawn! The vibrations were terrible. By far the wost thing that turned me off is the fact they CAN NOT do any sort of slope without spinning out and sliding! (As compared to my Hustler)
    Any coments?
    20Hp Kohler/ 52" side discharge/ no GHS

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my first Walker this year(used) and I like it very much. The unit isn't made for cutting cow pastures, these units are for quality cuts on small residential and commericial properties. The engine noise is lower than on our ridding Scags and this unit won't cut up the grass when making a lot of tight turns. The unit is a great bagger, don't know about side discharge but can't image getting this unit for side discharge.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: my walker has 6500 hours on it and still mows like day 1, you'll like them very much. tony

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Nes-Tech:

I demoed one a few years ago (20 hp 48" GHS) I hated it with a purple passion. Everything you said plus the dang tail wheel falling into every hole that I used to be able to straddle over. Traction sucked, and dumping the hopper was a PITA. About a year later, even after my opinion of it I bought one. I was told over and over again by the walker lovers that "once you get used to it, it will be easier and faster and more maneuverable that and mid-mount you have ever owned" BULLS***! I ran it for about 200 hours, owned it for almost an entire season and every week it got used less and less. Clogged in the dew, couldn't cut in the rain, had little to no actual vacuum to the deck and laid over about half of what it cut. Had to go slower, slow as a snail transport speed to and from the truck, wouldn't climb a hill, couldn't even do a 180 on flat ground without spinning out half the time. The list goes on... I ended up selling it for nearly 2 grand less than I bought it for jsut because in the end it just was taking up space in the shop and not getting used at all. If you can afford to go SSSSLLLOOOWWWW all the time, the the walker will give you a beautiful cut. But, so will any mower!

Ok, rant over....

FWIW, I hear that the 52" sd deck on a walker "turns the mower into a billygoat that will go up and down any hill" Just do a search on here and you will find that info. Also the low profile tires are wider and DO help a lot with hills, that's what I had and it was a bit improved over the standard tires, still sucked butt though!

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You got hills in Stratford?
    Leaf season is coming up and ours will be used everyday. I'm sure there are some nice small flat lawns in Stratford that you can charge a premium to cut and collect. Then again you said it was the SD so it's not much good for collecting. I have a 52 and 62 sd deck and neither one has ever been on my mower. Our Bobcat cuts those types of properties as fast as we need.
    PS, who's did you try out?

6. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Hills? Not many hills in stratford. I'm just talking about ditch banks. I was fighting with this thing just trying to navigate a ditch bank!!
    The unit was being demoed by a customer of mine therefore I had to compare it to my Hustlers! KW tractor I think

7. cantoo

We bought ours at Kitchener Tractor a couple of years ago. They are good to deal with. My wife does some nasty hills with ours that I won't try at all. It takes practice to ride the edge the right way. If you don't collect then a Walker is not likely the mower for you. You guys do have a ton of trees though so leaf clean up would be a good money maker. Also "dethatching" and collecting in the early spring is also a early start to the season.
    Do you buy anything at Cozyn's greenhouse? We do their cottage in Port Albert.
    Are you still looking for a hill cutting mower? Read down to the Land and Landscape area. Kutkwik slopemaster?
    http://www.bryansfarm.com/101/bryansfarm/auction/sept_day1.htm

8. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Cantoo
    You Have to try a Hustler with a Bac Vac!

9. cantoo

10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a walker ghs and two mid mounts a Exmark and a Dixie Chopper. Yes I have also had some seat time on a super Z as well. The walker will mow in the rain if you know what you are doing. It doesn't plug if you know what your doing. I can bag a pile of two foot high wet leaves mulched into dust with the dixie and have no clogging at all with the walker. As far as hills go, the walker mowing sideways on hills is not easy with a full hopper, but the all terr tires help out a lot. But still no match for a mid mount. However the ability to mow down a hill and still be able to turn and backup is unmatched by any mid mount. Love to see you mow down a bank with a car parked at the bottom of it and back straight back up. Easy on the walker almost impossible on anything else. I believe all walker owners will agree with this statement.