Demoed New Ferris IS 2000Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Jun 8, 2009.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I ran the IS 2000Z for a period of time this afternoon and was impressed with the ride and cut. This mower moved entirely too slow for my mowing conditions, but I expected that. The dealer is going to bring me a 3100Z in the morning, he seems to think it will compare more with the Super Z.

I found this very interesting, I asked him to get on my mower an run it down a long straight stretch that has a small ditch to cross. The ground is a little rough in this entire area. He told me he had run Hustlers before, I told him to open my mower up and see if he noticed any difference. I saw him hit the ditch at top speed in both directions (going and coming). He drove back to where I was standing and said there is something different about this Hustler. He asked me what the difference was and I stood up on the flex fork and made it move up and down. I told him the seat made a big difference also, he said, "that is a standard Michigan seat that we don't really need with our suspension." I said, "look at this", I then sat down in the seat and made it rock back and forth like a rocking chair. I picked the seat up so he could look at the flex base, he then said, "I knew there was something different, because that ditch would have jarred me out of the seat. The rocking mechanism takes a great deal of shock away from your body."

He told me the 3100Z would run as fast as my Super Z, we will put them side by side tomorrow and find out. Everyone including the Ferris factory told me the 2000 was the smoothest riding mower in their line-up, but this salesman told me the 3100 would ride better because of being heavier.

I definitely believe the 3100 will have an exceptionally good ride as well as cut. I think I can understand why people like the Ferris suspension, the four wheels moving independently improves the ride dramatically. They do seem to be a little on the expensive side, but I could see people paying the price difference for a smooth ride.

I mentioned Bad Boy mowers and the Ferris salesman told me they were on their last leg, and a relatively new mower company could not survive in this economy. I did not tell him when I talked with the factory last week they were behind 750 mowers on the assembly line that day. It truly amazes me at the way rumors travel.

He was telling me they sold 40 to 50 Ferris mowers every year, which is honestly pretty good considering they are a John Deere dealer. He said they ruined the JD zero turn mowers. I said, "JD had a good cutting zero turn mower, what were they thinking with all the changes." He came right out with no hesitation and said, "they are crazy, JD has a bad habit of trying something new by letting the customers find the problems." JD is the only company with deep enough pockets to play that game.

2. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

cant wait to hear about the 3100! i really like the fact that a 37hp kawi is a option! i dont think there is any way for it to be as fast as a hustler but i think that at speed it should ride good in deeper bumps.

3. puppypaws

You want to hear an interesting story, I wish some Ferris people would chime in on this. The website shows the 3100 being a 12 mph mower (this is what I would think), but the specs show the ground speed from 0-10 mph.

I called the factory to verify the speed and this is what I was told by two different people. "The ground speed is set at 10 mph at the factory but there is an adjustment the dealer can make to get it to 12 mph ground speed." I asked both people what the dealer did to get 2 more mph, and they said, "I honestly don't know but I think they do something to the rpms."

They gave me a persons name and told me to call him tomorrow because he was more knowledgeable on these real technical questions. :dizzy:

I am going to try and talk with him tomorrow!

4. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

i noticed that in the specs too! i was really confused as to what the speed was cause it says 12mph on the web parge and in specs it say 10mph. that would make sense as to why they dont post a blade tip speed, and the bigblock low rpm models might have somthing to do with it. that is interesting though i thought it was just a typo

5. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Pup, before you commit please check out my dealer and I'd be willing to bet $$ he'd make it worth your while on a new Ferris. My 5100Z came in today and should be delivered tomorrow.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I noticed in the owner's manual while servicing my IS 2000, the "top speed or ground speed adjustment". It's simply an adjustable bolt that stop's the handle bars at a certain point. So bringing it out means you can push the bars farther and go faster. I noticed mine are adjusted almost all the way out.

7. puppypaws

An adjustment that minor, I would have thought anyone at the factory should know that information. Thanks, for making me aware of that adjustment, I honestly don't understand why they don't set it at full speed from the factory, 12 mph is not fast, but just a good mowing speed.

I am really looking forward to seeing some good pictures and hearing all the details of that monster. :weightlifter:

8. zman2307

zman2307 LawnSite Senior Member
    from OR

It may be for insurance that they don't set it that fast? Yeah, sounds like all you're doing is opening up the valves more causing more fluid to circulate.

Do you have a GPS? Keep us posted on the actual speed + ride.

9. puppypaws

I studied the suspension very closely and look for the ride to be really good. The factory told me the 2000 was the best ride; but I think with over 100 lbs more weight on the 3100 it will give me a better ride at a faster speed.

My Super Z with the new fusion blades was cutting the exact grass at 15 mph that the 2000 was at 10 mph, and I can promise no one could tell which mower cut what grass side by side.

He may have to sit on the sidelines in the morning for a while, because when I get on the 3100, he may not see me for a longer period of time than today.

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I had 20K to spend on a large frame diesel ZTR, BUT WHY spend more on a FERRIS THEIR OVERATED:hammerhead:, and if I had a "DO-OVER" I would take the BB AOS diesel evertime over & over. The fact the Dealer made those comments on the Status of Bad Boy speaks volume of his industry knowledge. Ferris? Their great machines, you need to put the Big 3100Z up against the 35hp AOS diesel, and stop playing these games PP:waving: You pay for what you get! this is Oh so true, The Irony is killing me, I got more with Bad Boy, and came home with over 4K still in my bank account when were talking BIG DIESEL ZTR'S here.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009