Demoed new trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chimmygew, Aug 12, 2005.

1. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

My local dealer has always been an exclusive Echo dealer, so that is all I own. I have always been happy with the ones I have owned. Powerful and lightweight. Well, last week they picked up the Stihl line. I went into the shop to check it out and they offered me the FS 100 RX Trimmer as a demo to try out and let them know what I thought. I used it for one day and my crew for 3 days. I was really impressed. It was actually lighter than all my Echo trimmers and a lot more powerful. Engine seemed to be a lot quieter also. I ran this thing through some pretty thick stuff and it would not bog down at all. My crew loved it and asked if I would trade all the Echo's in on the Stihl. While I cannot justify doing that price wise, I will own one in the future. Does anyone else own this particular model? If so, how well do you like it and how is the durability?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have the a couple models under that and it is great. You would probably be fine with an FS85R or if you want it the FS 85 RX. I have never had any trouble whatsoever with mine and I will soon (hopefully) be getting the FS 110 R. Good Luck, you will be very pleased with the investment into a Stihl! My 2 cents!

3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx for the reply, I may go ahead and buy that demo at a good price and bump one of my echo's to a backup.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I just bought the fs1oorx. I like it for the same reasons you like yours. I did notice that it starts and runs on the first pull.

John

Oh try the Back Pack blower the 600 :D

5. mcwlandscaping

All right guys, i just found out that stihl no longer makes the FS85's so that is not an option, but i like the FS 110 R. It can accept gearbox attachments if i need them and it has plenty of power. The FS 80 has a cable driveshaft so it cannot use attachments. I would go with what you demoed, Good Luck!

6. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a FX100RX and its awsome. I think its taking the place of the FS110R

7. John Gamba

from ct

I think the 100 is just for trimming. The 110 you can put the attachments on" solid shaft on the 110".

But i could be wrong. My 100 Rips threw The thick stuff like its not even there.

John

8. mcwlandscaping

John you are correct! The FS 110 R you can put attachments on. The 100 is just for trimming.

9. John Gamba

from ct

Thats nice :D I have the Split Boom already. I cant wait to switch everything over to the 4Mix. It does weigh less.

John

10. mcwlandscaping

I want the 4 mix FS 110 R and then buy an edger attachment for the FS 85 R that i have.