Demographics Help Needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Mar 7, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

O.K. I live in the State of MD and today and yesterday I passed out 180 flyers to 180 homes. The challenge that I am having is:

1. Last year I got a late start. Passed out hundreds of flyers and ended up with at least 1 to 2 responses from each neighborhood. The average price range per home was $150,000 to $200,000. 1/4 or more acres of land and did all with a 21" inch mower. (Average price range per job $35 - $50 per cut and some said that still was to high!) Stuck to my guns and maintained a 98% retention rate and still said, "Yes Sir or Yes Mam".

2. This year, I have more and better equipment. Decided to try a new location. Average price of homes = $175,000 $200,000 plus. Larger yards. But the yards look like crap! No responses yet!

I am wondering am I wasting my time in some neighborhoods? These people have no time to maintain their yards, want someone to do it for them but don’t want to pay.

Should I upscale my neighborhoods?

This is my families bread and butter now.

One challenge appears to be the wana be executives. (They drive the shiny 10yr old used Lexus)

2. Patience is a Virtue.

In time they will call.
  3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Harper Services,

I'll tell you what works for me. I target areas that either 1. already look really good (this says people are willing to pay to keep it that way) 2. Pick a place that I know I can make it look really good. Nothing like doing work on a peice of property that you know will never look good and have lots of people drive by shaking their head like it was your fault.

I'm finding it easier to get commercial sites rather than residential. On residential I try and stay away from heavy shrub.hedge work. Prefer to spend most of my time on the mower.

One of my biggest priorities is to stay logistical sane. Getting spread over an entire city is just not profitable. If I pick up a large account worth doing I make it an absolute "must do" to pick up an adjacent account.

5. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

I am trying to get into comercial sites. But what is the big secret to do this?
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

harperservices wrote:
    I am wondering am I wasting my time in some neighborhoods? These people have no time to maintain their yards, want someone to do it for them but don’t want to pay.

You sound exactly like I did 8 years ago.

In Maryland (the part I live in anyway) neighborhoods can be strange. You can have 2 almost identical neighborhoods and one of them will have lots of LCOs running around and the next one won't have any. I don't understand it, probably never will. If you're not getting responses from certain 'hoods move on to the next one.

You also need to remember that the grass isn't growing yet.

As far as your pricing goes I would stick with it. Since some potential clients are complaining but you are still closing on some deals and that means your pricing is right on. Your 98% retention rate also means that you are doing a good enough job to justify your rates.

It can take a while to build a client base when you are doing better than average work (and charging for it) but the wait will be worth it.
  7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know If it's a big secret here or not. I should say that have my monthly revenue comes from commercial acct.s

The 'pitch' that works for me is something like this...after I have identified a property I want to get I approach the decision maker w/ something like " are you completely satisfied with the level of service you are currently recieving?" I will also throw in something like "I noticed that there are a number of weeds coming up in the sidewalk (or something like that, as long as it is accurate). Most of the time they will say "Yes I noticed that". My rejoiner is "Well, properties that I'm responsible for do not look like that!"

Offer them a quote and then ask for the deal. 'Bout 50% of the time I get it.