Demoing a few mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fool32696, Jun 26, 2007.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

My Gravely 250z with 1400hrs is starting to get a little tired. I had a break around 3 today and stopped by the local Hustler dealer to check out the Super Z 66. That's all a friend of mine uses and he swears by them. I think he's running 3 66s now in addition to a few 60s. I ended up leaving with a Super Z 60in with 30hp Kolher to Demo on my route tomorrow. After mowing my dad's place with the Hustler I was going by my friends' Gravely dealership and I saw that the area rep (a friend of mine from high school) was there. I stopped in and he saw me with the Hustler and insisted that I load up a 260z with a 27hp Kolher to try for a few days. I've got to use my 250z to get in a few backyards, so for tomorrow I've got 3 Zs on the trailer! I'll have to get some good action pics tomorrow and hopefully report back on my findings.:cool2:

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to give us a good comparison. I run a Super Z 28/66 and it has been great but I am able to utilize the speed where some people can't.

I never hear any comments on Gravely in this forum. They appear to have an excellent mower, I would like to hear more people comment on them.

They are suppose to bring me a Bad Boy Lightening this afternoon to run a few days. They claim to have the best ride in the industry with their four wheel torsion rubber suspension so I wanted to find out for myself everything the mower has to offer.

I have everything Hustler has to offer, suspension seat with the new flex seat base and the flex forks, so when I finish with the comparison, which is the best both companies have at this time, I will know the difference.

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

pup, did you get the BB demo????????

4. puppypaws

I just got off to get something to eat, they delivered it this morning. This 32 Vanguard is strong on the 60" Lightening.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Can't say anything about the Hustlers, because I have never even seen one up close, but I can tell you the new Gravely's have many improvements over the older models. I also had a 250 which I sold 3 weeks ago, and purchased a new 260 with the new X-Factor deck. That thing is built like a Mac truck. I bought the 25 Kawasaki, and it seems to have plenty of power, so I'd think the 27 would be more than enough.

The new deck stripes much better than the old (no striping kit), and I found yesterday it also handles wet grass much bettter. I mowed wet grass all day, and only stopped to clean the deck after finishing up, with very minimal clumping, and then only when mowing an area that was largely crabgrass. I actually trimmed while it was raining, and when it quit, hopped right back on the mower. Couldn't have done that with the 250 without cleaning the deck about 15 times.

Don't know if your old mower has the hydraulic lift, but if it didn't, try out a new 260 with one. I'd almost guantee that if you run one a week, you'll never have another mower without it.

Have fun trying those new mowers.

6. puppypaws

I ran the Bad Bod until it got to dark to see and I will already say one thing before I give a full comparison, the 32 hp Vanguard is a horse on this mower.

7. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Holy Hell! 32hp is a beast on any mower!! I'd love to take that for a spin.:laugh: :laugh:

8. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Moturkey, the Gravely rep told me the Kawis are underrated by about 2hp. So basically you're running about the same power as the 27 kohler.

I ended up running the mowers about 5hrs a piece. I would have been on the Hustler the entire time if I didn't have to bring it back on Wed by 5. The Gravely has had lots of improvements and the new 260z is built like a tank. Both it and my 250 have the hydraulic deck lift which I'd opt out on to save the $600. The 260z didn't seem to cut much better than my 250 did when new. In my opinion there was no contest, the Hustler destroyed it. The Hustler had a far superior cut in bahia. I'd have to double cut with the Gravely to get the results that I got in a single pass on the Hustler. The Hustler rode smoother despite the Gravely having a pivoting front axle. The Hustler had a much lower seat height and center of gravity. It did much better on hills and was better for getting under low hanging branches. The Hustler also has the parking brake geniously integrated into the handlebars saving time everytime you get on/off. Hustler also put a viewing window in the gas tanks so you don't have to waste time opening up and peeking in. In addition I can get a 66" deck on the Hustler for about the same price as the Gravely 60". My Gravely rep says 6" doesn't make any difference(I think it's because they don't sell one), but a 10% larger deck is going to cut 10% faster in larger yards. I'm too tired to get my camera out of the truck, but hopefully I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I may demo an Exmark and John Deere. If I had to buy a mower tomorrow it would be a 66" Hustler Super Z.

9. puppypaws

Oh, yes the 66" does make a difference.