Demoing a Pool, how hard can it be?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by farmboy1285, Feb 8, 2010.

1. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Well Im buying my first house and am planning on doing a lot of work on it. One of the first things on my list is to knock down a in ground pool that sits on the property. I considered fixing it up buying new pumps and stuff (I could have some sweet parties lol) but I think It will just be a money pit (literally) also the previous owner had no fence on the property and no ladder in the pool which scares the crap out of me. The pool is about 15'x30' and 6'-8' deep with 8" or 10" thick walls, I cant remember. It is built into the side of a hill with one side being partially exposed. My plan is to rent a breaker for our Bobcat and jack the sides down and part of the bottom so any rain water will drain, push the concrete into the hole I will leave most of the bottom in tact, put a foot or so of compacted gravel on top of the broken concrete and fill the remainder of the hole with soil. Eventually I will build a garage on or partially on where the pool sat so I want to compact the gravel and soil and leave the area alone for a while so the soil can settle. I talked to the city code officer and he said my plan sounded good. My question is will my Bobcat be able to handle a breaker and the demo work or do I need to have a dozer or a excavator brought in. Im pretty confident I can do this myself but I figured I should get some opinions first. I can post pics of the pool tomorrow, also here are the specs for my Bobcat:
  2. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

Rent an excavator or backhoe. Completely demo the pool. Put the demo in the ground where you want to build your garage. Only bury **** on a construction site, never on your own property. It always comes back to bite you.
  3. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

We do that all the time around here and they have lasted for year and years. We knock out about 2 to 3 feet down around the edges make sure you punch some hole in the bottom. Throw all the concrete in fill the excess with 1" clean and soil a little bit of fabric and then some soil and seed. We would just use a breaker on and excavator but unless you can back a truck right too the pool you may need a skid as well.
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't remove all the concrete make sure you at least use the breaker to knock holes in the floor so that surface water can drain through. I have done the entire job with a skid steer. Break a path via the shallow end into the pool, use the breaker to knock holes in the pool about 3 feet from the top of the pool all the way around it. Knock holes in the bottom as first mentioned, then climb out of the pool, put your dirt bucket on and push the rim of the pool into the bottom. Work your way around the perimeter of the pool pushing it in.

You might want to rent a CASE but if you have all day a BC will work.:laugh:
  5. farmboy1285

Thats pretty much my game plan. If those dang CASE machines wernt so expensive we might have got one, when we were looking for skid steers bobcats out numbered CASE 2:1. But hey our bobcat gets the job done, and a lot quicker than our old tractor!
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Quality doesn't cost my IH brother, it pays.:cool2:
  7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

oh god here we go again.. :dizzy:
  8. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

I filled a 1950s pool in with 17 triaxels....after the guy spent about $15K trying to renovate the thing. Old pools cost HUGE $ to renovate. The walls where like 10-12" thick with more rebar than I have even seen. I drilled 2" holes thru the bottom in a tight grid, filled here in, and no problems since. If you demo and bury, make sure to fill the voids between large buried chunks as it will eventually slump.
  9. farmboy1285

lol just be glad we didnt get a Deere. last week in one of my classes the instructor was talking about cyclical loading and showed a picture of a Deere excavator that the boom had cracked in half on. It was all I could do to keep myself from making a smart ass comment lol.
  10. farmboy1285

We were told that the pool was built back in the 70's. It was dug by hand and poured using basement forms. Like I said Im concerted renovating the thing but its already got a couple cracks in it. The thing is actually holding water now, only about 1-2' in the deep end but supposedly this summer it was close to full with rain water. Besides I need the space to build a 2 stall garage so I can work on my trucks:)