1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Demoing a Tak 120

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by stuvecorp, Oct 19, 2008.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

When we do hardscaping projects our 70xt with VTS is to big and the ASV300(RC30) can't lift pallets of block or pavers so we have been splitting up the pallets or hauling in both machines and it is getting old. Thought we would try the smallest Tak because of its compact 60" width and wanting to have a machine to replace the Polaris for compact work. The Tak120 will lift a full pallet of block, it does struggle pulling the pallet across the truck but can get it off and on the truck. The bad thing is the visibility when doing fork work. The ride is rough, would a different track style work better? I thought the controls were too easy. I have never minded the ASV/Cat controls but the Tak was too easy, it didn't seem to have a neutral so I zig-zaged some. I liked it though, 50 horse has never felt this powerful. It sounded mean, 2 liters of power. I thought the cab was too big, could have been smaller for better visibility out of the corners on the front and back.

Overall I liked it, the next size up may be alittle better for us.

tak120 004.jpg

tak120 001.jpg

tak120 003.jpg

tak120 009.jpg

2. finegrade

finegrade LawnSite Member

Nice pics, does that door open outwards or up under the cabin?, from the pic, it looks like outwards. Do they have ac option on that model?
    When you say a full pallet, are you referring to 2,200lbs plus per pallet?
    I really think you're on to something good!!!

Finegrade

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

you can't go wrong with the tak. I did not know that the 120's had a door that opened out instead of rolling up? is that an option only for that model side. I know the 140 and 150 have doors that side up over your head. it's nice because you can run the machine with the door open on a nice day.

Yes they ride a little rought, but the spent the money where it counted by making a good reliable machine. The tak's sure to have unique sound dont they. That's the sound of a Cat D6 under the hood!

4. stuvecorp

On this one the door swings out. This machine does have air, don't know what it costs. The salesman is working up a price, will be interesting but this isn't a good time to buy a machine.

I was looking at the 130 specs and that one is 62" wide, with more track on the ground. Bet that is an animal. That 130 that sold on Iron Planet awhile ago would have been a good thing to get, I think it is listed on Machinery Trader for $22,500 with new tracks.

5. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Does that thing have a radio in it? I noticed a antenna on the back of the cab. I thought the radio option was only in the TL2** series.

6. stuvecorp

The Tak does have an awesome sound, it really has power.

7. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Is there A Tak dealer up there? or are you getting it all the way from Madison?
    I love Tak's the only thing that sucks is the filters are expensive (thats the only thing I have bought so far) so I imagine any replacement parts are going to be, just like are Kubota's

8. stuvecorp

It does have a radio, sounded like it was a factory install according to the salesman.

One thing that kinda goofed me up was the 'negative dig', the boom stops are set to allow the bucket to be lower. I would like it to be flat not cut below the tracks. The salesman spent alot of time talking about that. I also liked the roll back with the bucket, I like to flip material to the back of the bucket when grading.

I think I am going to start watching for a 130 size(Tak/Mustang/Gehl) machine, that would compliment the small and big skids real well.

9. stuvecorp

The dealer is Swiderski out of Thorp, their service is legendary.:rolleyes:

10. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I bought from Kelbe Bros, I have herd good and bad about them. I had no choice Tak dealers are few and far, one bad thing about them