demoing a trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

is there such a thing as being able to demo a trimmer?
    thanks
    alex

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes - just ask the dealer if he/she has a particular model of the one you like in the repair/service shop. Most of the time, they do. :usflag:

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Usually, (at least with Shindaiwa) when the dealer places his spring order he can order 1 of a model from his distributor that is designated as a factory demo unit. The unit must be held and demonstrated for at least 6 months prior to being eligible to be sold. Usually purchased from the distributor at a slight discount over the regular price, so is usually sold after being a demo machine a little less than a brand new one.

Or, if you want to demo a Ryobi or Homelite or Echo, just buy it at Home Depot, take it home, try it out and then take it back with some BS reason.. or that you just were not satisfied with it.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, that would be nice huh? Unfortunately, it probably won't happen. You can't even get a good answer from landscapers. Until you've operated every single model, you can't comment on "which is better".
    You CAN get good and bad points for particular models from landscapers though.
    I can personally speak for Robin 2450 and Stihl FS85r.

5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

what do u think of the stihl fs85r? any input would be great
    thanks
    alex

6. Tharrell

FS85r? It's loud and it burns my arm. Glad I don't have much in it because I'd be seriously pissed if I had.
    Can't really tell you about the power though because I can't get over the loud ringing or arm burns.
    I'm used to laying my arm on my Robin I guess, I'm spoiled.
    Speaking of products, you're dealer is almost if not more important than the product itself.
    If it's a bad product, he can help. If it's a good product, all the better.
    A good dealer will stop carrying a crappy product and, all manufacturers make some now and then.
    I can't stand to go into a mower shop and see 3-6 of everything a manufacturer makes. It tells me the dealer just wants to move anything. I'm lucky that my dealer isn't like that. A truly crappy product by a major manufacturer won't be on my dealers floorplan even though the rest of the line is absolutely perfect.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Loud? Its a friggin engine, get over it. You should have hearing protection on anyway.

I have used both the FS100RX and the FS110 and the FS130R

My impressions, FS100RX is by far the lightest and best for regular maintenance type trimming. It is comfortable, good on gas and has great power to it.

The FS110 was essentially the same but with a solid shaft, made it a good deal heavier for no more power, less vibration though.

The FS130R is my current trimmer and it has an enormous amount of power. Drawback is the added weight and fuel consumption. It will go through fuel at a pretty good clip, this thing is a beast though...

If I were to buy a new trimmer then it would be another FS100RX. Just a phenominal machine for all around maintenance.

8. Tharrell

Look, nobody asked you to criticize my post. Yeah, it's an engine so what. It doesn't have to be that loud. that's what mufflers are for. My Robin, Briggs, Echo and Kohler engines are not nearly as offensively loud as this FS85r.
    Just tell the guy any good or bad that you know of and keep your critique of MY post to yourself.

9. Tharrell

Here's a couple of videos and a pic of the sock I have to put on my arm. I don't know if you can tell how loud the Stihl is when I post this so here goes.

Stihl armwrap.jpg

Attached Files:

10. travis55

travis55 LawnSite Member

I used to have a 85R and I to thought it got way to hot . I also tend to let my arm rest on it . I asked the dealer if that was normal to get that hot, an they said in the heat of the summer yes . I bought a shindaiwa 2510 this summer an had no issues with it getting hot like that . Just my 2 cents . :)