1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

demos? what gives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

what gives with these demos? i went to 4 dealers today.
    1st) sold exmark & scag only had 60" demos :confused:
    2nd) sold grasshopper & gravley had 50" & 72" demos :confused:
    3rd) sold scag & walker only had 60" demos :confused:
    4th) sold feris & toro & great dane only had 60" & 72" demos :confused:

dont any one demo 36"wb mowers? the biggest i can use on my property's is a 48"
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Your lucky any of them would let you demo a mower. Around here nobody will let you demo. They will let you drive one around but your not allowed to turn the blades on or cut any grass because then its a used mower they said.
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confident no one has a good selection of demos. All my dealers will let you try one and especialy if your machine broke while its under warrenty.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Most dealers have there heads up their Z and don't want or try to sell walkbehinds even though a WB is a more versatile and useful machine for the guy who only has one mower. They won't run a mower until you are making out the check. It's like a car dealership letting you drive a f-350 when you want to buy a Camry.
  5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I usually steer potential buyers to a current user for demo of units with different size mowers than I have on the floor. Demo unit I have has 36", 48" available for demo. I also have 42", 52" and 62" side discharge decks available at various customers that will demo for buyers.

I am curious though about your statement regarding the 60" deck on a Walker. Unless I am out of the loop they do not have a 60" deck.. 62" yes.

You might try to find someone using what you are interested in and approach them about a demo. Good idea would be to try someone out of your general area so as to avoid being a competitor.

In my experience with dealers I have found many of the good ones will gladly commit a unit as a demo so as to promote sales. Some may be limited on capital and don't want to lower the value of something you may or may not purchase.
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer has two everides and two hustler demos. He said he'd sell the 2005 Hustler Mini Z 19HP/52" with 40 hours for $5200.00 and a 2006 Hustler Z 23HP/60" with XR-7 and 55 hours for $7200.00. How do those prices sound?
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They will not have a Grasshopper walkbehind to demo, because, Grasshopper does not make walkbehinds.
  8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

what im looking for is either a 32"-36" wb or a ztr. mainly due to gates and us homes puting homes one on a top of one another.
  9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

They won't let us demo out here either. :hammerhead:
  10. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Same is true around here. There are a few places in Denver that do demos but not in Ft. Collins.:gmctruck: (Wow, that is a cool smilie).