Dennis parked over my house

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by all ferris, Jul 12, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis finally made it far enough north and seems to have just parked over metro St. Louis. It's supposed to rain all day today and tomorrow. This is really good for us because we were in a drought. Nice and slow rain too...1"6 tenths so far and it's still coming down. It's like money is falling from the sky payup. However, I hate to see all the damage this same storm caused down south. I hope all the others in the country get the rain they need too. It sure is a relief to get this rain.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

watched it miss ohio almost completly......please send rain ... :help:
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Supposedly, it's on the way. It has stalled out and is now beginning to move east. Our weather guy says we'll get a good deal of rain from it. I have my fingers crossed, too....
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I hate that it did damage in the deep South but it looks like the states around the Ohio valley are going to get much needed rain. I think we've had about an inch of slow rain so far with more to come. We were on the edge of a serious drought. Lawns that I mowed last year up to 5 times per month were down to two times per month and starting to turn brown.
  5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I hear you All Ferris, nice slow soaking rain. I live just south of you in Waterloo and talked to a buddy this morning and he said his gauge read almost 3". Didn't seem like that much but it sure is a nice sight! Supposed to go through Thursday but I will take all we can get to turn things around.
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

We will take some here too. Had a rain band move over us and it was done in 5 minutes. Now it is getter hotter and alot more steamy. :cry:
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis just gave us a hit and run in Pensacola. It hit hard and caused considerable property damage in NW Florida.

The pressure was down to 930mb a few hours before landfall and the lowest in history was 922mb. This could have been the 7th most powerful hurricane to hit the US. It went from a strong cat4 to a cat3 in a very short time. I was in what is considered the NE part of the circulation and we got about a 95 mph wind with a lot of tree debris in the yard.

We have power again today and hope to have power at Seville tomorrow. It was >100 degrees in the showroom today and we have been wide open selling chain saws and generators since last Thursday.

Just waiting for Hurricane Emily
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Oldtimer, It's good to hear things were not too bad for you (at least not as bad as it could have been). I think it's ironic that someones missfortune is someone elses good fortune. Without the rain from Dennis my income would have disappeared.