1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Denver Botanic Garden

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by JoeyD, Jan 22, 2009.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a cool video, you irrigation guys should really dig it! This is a really popular and renowned Botanical garden in Denver, CO. We were so thrilled to get to be apart of this amazing project! This is one of our first major 24v projects!

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Cool, That looks like a fun project.
  3. JoeyD

Our Colorado rep Dennis Ferdinandsen spent a lot of time assisting with the design and layout of that project. Turned out to be a jem!!
  4. Lite4

who is the contractor installing?
  5. JoeyD

Not sure...I thinkt he botanical garden has a full maintnenace staff that handled everything.......
  6. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

"Typical Unique"
  7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Joey, in this type of scenario, does Unique lighting do anything at all to encourage the "customer" (in this case the Denver Botanic Garden) to hire a local professional lighting designer/contractor to do the design and installation work? I would sure hope that you do. I can only imagine the headaches that would be associated with having to hand hold the onsite maintenance staff through a complex installation process.

If you do not provide this type of guidance and referral process I would think that your loyal contractors in Denver would have a great reason to be a bit annoyed with Unique.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Joey, tell me more about 24 v. In a new thread if need be, Will it run off a 24 v irrigation controller?
  9. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure the onsite "maintenance staff" consists of not only techs, but electrictians, engineers etc. If you watch the video you can see a glimpse of the enormous complexity of the systems required to operate an incredible botanical gardens. I am sure the staff will perform a stellar installation. I have an idea that a contractor not familiar with the systems of the botanical garden would pretty much be in the way. Just my opinion.

Really cool project though. I will try to check it out first hand next time I am in Denver. Did Nate design it?
  10. Lite4

You can teach a maintenance guy how to properly wire a system and check the voltage, but you can't expect him to know how to create a beautiful overall scene by using specific type lamps/lenses/louvers and proper fixture selection and placement unless someone like Nate designed it for them.

I am going to have to agree with James on this one. Unique is always training and instructing. Offering classes to teach advanced tricks and techniques and how to create and visualize projects. Unique is usually all about networking with "their pros" and keeping their products in the hands of the guys who install their products regularly. Very surprising they would take this caliber of a project and leave it in the hands of a irrigation tech, "maintenance guy". If I was a local lighting pro in that area and bought Unique products, I would be miffed if I didn't even get a chance to bid on the project. If I am too high priced, fine, at least I got a chance to do it and they know I am there if they get in a jam and need some professional local help, consultation or ongoing system maintenance on the project down the road. I would feel like my manufacturer did an end around me to just move product without any regard to those who are loyal to them and buy their products. Good way to get guys in the Colorado area to look at other manus, Vista anyone.