1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deposit for mow contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncarepros2004, May 10, 2007.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

just wonderring how many of you folks require a deposit or one months first payment prior to taking on a new client?:cool2:
  2. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

I have never asked, and dont think they would give it anyway. What if it rains, or you dont show, or something else comes up. Just make sure you have them sign contracts and then your covered
  3. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

All of my clients pay the first month up front. It has worked very well for me. I simply explain to them that that is my policy...Jay
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Covered for what?

From the numerous threads about customers not paying, even though they signed a contract, I conclude a piece of paper will not make a customer pay for simple lawn mowing services. If they don't want to pay, they will not pay. Many posters on LS have learned this. Having no contract doesn't mean they will pay or not pay either. The integrity of the customer is far more important in the matter than the piece of paper.
  5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do this, it was the only way I could manage cash flow. I asked for four weeks as a deposit. I only asked repeat customers for it, I made it totally voluntary, and I included a self-addressed stamped envelope. I also gave them a bit of a discount (12% apr), sort of as an interest incentive. More than half the people sent money in, which resulted in thousands of dollars in the bank before we cut our first lawn. Took a lot of pressure off.
  6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Yes we always receive money before services are rendered. You don't walk into a restaurant and eat then tell them I will pay next month :dizzy: Get your money now and if you had to skip a week then the next month bill will reflect that. But always get money NOW...
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the Customer.........

I picked up the bank Persident last week.......... I think he will pay
  8. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

you certainly dont pay before you eat, either.... unless its fast food.

so the question is:

do you want to be mcdonald's or a five star gourmet restaurant???:laughing:
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If the situation gets out of hand and you have to push it up to a lawyer you almost have to have a signed contract orthey wont' handle it. But I agree the contract don't make them pay on time......25% of ours are alway late.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same.