Deposit the check?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys..

I have a wierd situation...

I have had this customer for a couple of years now. Middle of last year they started slacking on the payments but they caught up in January. I called them a couple of times (leaving messages) in January to get them to sign up for this coming year and did not hear back from them.

February rolled around and I received another check.. I figured they thought they were still behind.. so I called and got the answering machine again.. left another message to call me. Never called. About a week later I drove over to their house on a Sunday afternoon with my 'agreement' in one hand and their check in the other.

I apologized for the Sunday intrusion and handed him the check explaining they were up to date.. then briefly introduced the agreement and asked if they were still interested in my services for the upcoming season. He said yes they still want my services and he will look over the agreement and get back with me in a couple of days. Well... a couple of weeks go by without a call.

I then receive another check March 1st for the same amount.. seems I was put on auto pay. I call again.. and leave this message: Hello, this is Tom with TSG... I haven't heard back from you in regard to the agreement.. I have since received another check. Should I deposit it as your first payment.. return it to you or should I just tear it up? Please give me a call.. Thanks.

Again.. NO CALL BACK It has since expired (void after 30 days).

Guess what? I just received another check today.

They haven't cancelled and their first scheduled visit is Thursday..

Should I accept this latest check as their first payment and deposit it?

:confused:

2. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

He said yes...... by depositing the check are you agreeing to take them on? Were they on autopay last year?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me, I start mowing...but I would admit, it does all sound kind of strange.

4. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

I would keep the check , and start mowing until the checks stop.
    Consider them signed on .

5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Take da money !!!
    Do da work !!!

Pay more people do dat.....

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Do the work, deposit the check and credit it to their account. Send them a letter clarifying what you've done and ask them to contact you if they have any quesitons. Thank 'em for their business. Some people are too busy with their own lives to even pay attention to the details.

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like procratinators. They probably realized it over the winter and put you on the autopay. Get your butt over there and start cutting!

8. script

script LawnSite Member

I'd mow as long as the checks were coming in. Sounds like they're just lazy to call you back but still want your service.

Bobby

9. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

i think u should still mow their lawn if they keep paying

10. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

money in the bank for me man, cut 'em