1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Deposits Now Or Upon Job

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LANDSCAPER30, Mar 20, 2006.


    LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN
    Posts: 105

    It's official, I now have five nice sized landscape installations lined up for the season. Everyone of these people ask me about a deposit now on their upcoming projects. In the past, I have always received my deposits a few days before I started. My question is this, should I get the 50% deposits now or wait . Keep in mind, one or two of these might be 6-7wks away. Might be a silly question,:dizzy: but I want other professionsal's opinions on this.

  2. TWUllc

    TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 406

    I'd wait. I ask for my deposit 3-4 days prior to start of job. For 6-7 weeks away, I wouldn't give anyone my money. :laugh:
  3. olderthandirt

    olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here
    Posts: 4,900

    10% non refundable after the materials are ordered and that would be now. 6-7 wks is a long time to get other estmates and change there mind
  4. nobagger

    nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa
    Posts: 3,065

    I would get some amount of a depsoit. A few weeks is a long time to change their mind.:hammerhead:
  5. walker-talker

    walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest
    Posts: 4,771

    Yeah...what he said. You might get 10% and another 40% when you get a few days away from actually starting the project. If they change their minds, you at least have 10% for your time and effort.
  6. Randy Scott

    Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,915

    We take the deposit when they want us to schedule the work. We do not schedule until then. It's first come first serve. I would never schedule a job out 2, 3, 4, 6 weeks or however long, and then collect the money a few days before. What do you do for work in your schedule when you have a week long project scheduled and then the customer backs out two days before with no money down? You spank your monkey is what you do. If they want it in the schedule, 1/3 minimum or 1/2 down to put them in the schedule. If they are uncomfortable with that, then they can take the chance of calling when they're ready and see if we have room in the schedule. In this business, you need the working capital, and you need to book your summer in late winter, early spring. We usually end up filling our schedule into July/August by the end of this month. You will find the jobs that can be booked out that far which will fit the schedule. If they can't wait, find someone else. Our referrals always wait. New callers are the ones who will not wait.

Share This Page