1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deposits on Commercial Contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnsonLawn, Jan 31, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question regarding a commercial bid I am putting together. A condo complex wants me to bid on spring/fall cleanups, mowing, pruning, edging and installing approx. 60 yards of mulch. I have other commercial properties but not this size. I will be billing over a 9 month cycle for this contract and 3 months for the snow removal. My question is, I was thinking about asking for a substantial down-payment to cover costs of materials and then billing balance into 8 equal monthly payments. I don't think I should have wait for 2 or 3 payments to arrive before I recoup the materials costs ( I would like this up front). Have any of you billed like this in the past and do you think it would be acceptable for me to propose this request. Thanks in advance.
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!! Your lucky they are not asking YOU for a retainer. You should be able to cover your costs for a month before you get paid. Good luck getting a deposit.