1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EliteImpressions, Oct 3, 2004.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

For the snow season I only want about 15-20 residentials to remove snow off of walks and driveway. I want a guarantee that theyll use me and also I want to purchase a better snow blower that will allow me to do less shoveling and be quicker as well. Has anyone tried signing up customers by putting down a deposit. I was going to charge the customers about 30 per visit. And there should be more than one snow fall this year, so I was going to have them put down a 50 dollar deposit. Has anyone tried this, and if so does it work?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I do deposits with new mowing clients, usually just the price of one cut. I look at it as a "good faith" gesture on their part. Surprisingly, no one has ever argued putting a deposit down. I would definitely do this for snow removal.

I don't do snow myself. For the mowing, I credit their deposit toward their final bill of the season.