desiel engine not starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by longviewlawncare, Apr 7, 2003.

1. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, hope yall can help. i have a Front deck mower with a Kubota 21.5 hp engine in it. It ran good last year but when we wanted to start using it this year it won't start. i have purged fuel system so no air in system. Injection pump is working and i have disasembled the injectors and cleaned them. i am still not sure if i am getting fuel trhough them or not but it will not start even with starting fuild. The glow plugs work also and everything checks out ok. It just won't fire up. turns over until i kill the battery but no fire. please help. thanks guys

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Have you dumped all your fuel and put fresh fuel in it? One of my friends has a small asphalt paver with a Kubota engine. It acted just like yours. Turned out his diesel fuel was old and tank had a lot of water in it. After purging the system of the watery fuel, we put in fresh diesel and it fired right up. If you are getting good fuel to the cylinders, it should run. Not much else can go wrong with a diesel.:)

3. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Are you getting white smoke out the exhaust that is a good way to tell if it is getting diesel. If it isn't are you purging it at the fuel filter/injector pump some times you can get a air lock in the injector pump. If you try to purge it at the injector pump make sure you loosen the right bleed screw best to check your manual.

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Kubotas usually have a electronic fuel shut off solenoid that kills the engine when you shut it off. It may not be getting activated when you are trying to start it.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

also, check your air filter...diesels are simply... compression, air, fuel

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This is what happened to my diesel Gator engine. It would turn over forever, but wouldn't fire. It was the solenoid.

7. longviewlawncare

the fuel solenoid is working, that was one of the firts things i checked. I belad the fuel system again today alway the way up to the injectors. I am getting fuel comeing through the injectors and still nothing. I called our jacobsen dealer which i know well and asked one of there techs, he asked me about everything that has already been mentioned. he said if all that does not work then there is probably something wrong insdie the enigine. The air filter is off the unti totally. It will not start with starter fluid or even try to catch. i will prob have them take a look and if nothing else replace the enigine. Anyone know where i can buy a good rebuilt kubota engine online? Thanks for the help guys.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

doesn't sound good...maybe.

pull the injectors or glow plugs and put a few drops of oil in the cylinders then try it.

if it runs a little, you've got low compression.

9. longviewlawncare

just like regualar motor oil? If it starts what would be causing the low compression? that is what i think is wrong but i don;t kow what to do. i will try that in the mourning? thanks cpt. devo

10. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you've checked the solenoid, then check to make sure you getting power to the glow plugs. You also can check the glow plugs by removing them and apply 12V to them, tips turn red hot.

PS - You mentioned using starting fluid, very bad idea with glow plugs. The ether can ignite the second it comes near a red hot glow plug. I've actually seen first hand after someone did this on a large diesel engine. The result was the the intake manifold was blown off the engine block. Not a pretty sight!