1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Desiel fumes in a skidsteer

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by little green guy, Feb 1, 2001.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

We just got a vynal enclosure from northern for our skidsteer and a couple people where saying that because there's no air flow the fumes could get inside and kill me. What do you guys think?
  2. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

We have a 2001 Bobcat 753, with a winter cab/heater. There are still air gaps if you look around. The exhaust from my machine is to the rear and at least a foot behind the cab. I haven't had any complaints from operators about fumes in it, can't imagine they would be able to sell it if people were dying, it's not like cab enclosures on skidsteers are new yesterday.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

No way man, don't listen to the BS hype! We have year round cabs on 2 of ours and the plastic/poly/vinyl whatever cab on 1 more and there are gaps all around, etc. Theres no way you get exhaust fumes in there. The muffler and pipe face backwards and 1-2 feet behind the cab like LGG just said. We never had any problems and our guys sit in them for a whole 12 hour shift.
  4. Guido

The above statement in no way causes David Famiglietti to take responsiblity for the sudden death of Mr. Little Green Guy. It is personal opinion based on the poster and may not be the opinion of scientists, doctors or lawyers.

Thank you for your time!:)

5. little green guy

That's what I figured but because when I thought about it, What about backhoes, dozers and stuff like that, there all ok and I dought they could sell something like that if I was dangerous. Better safe than sorry though, I figured I should find out before there scaping me out of the machine and using it so dig me a hole. Thanks
  6. little green guy

oh yah on the New Holland the muffler is like 4 feet behind the cab.

BTW- Guido, if your wrong and I die I'm coming back to haunt you.
  7. klite

klite LawnSite Member

To answer your Question. Long ago when all trucks were all gas powered, the fumes would put the drivers of said trucks to sleep forever. Thats why they invented the Diesal engine because the fumes might be noxious (smell bad) it will not put you to sleep forever.

Just My 2 cents
  8. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Have you been moonlighting at the lawyer school again? Good point for all of us to follow, (not ntcessarily about posts), but never forget two sets of practice. The three D's, Document, Document, Document. And PYOB this one means Protect Your Own Butt. You after all are the only one you can count on to do that.

Happy Plowing
  9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why all operators should smoke....at least the cigarette burning down to their finger when they pass out will wake them up!

Anyway, can't see it being much of a problem. With the amount of days I have spent in my life standing next to a bobcat while on a jobsite with that 'breath of god' blowing on me from out the side of the thing, I figure standing around it can't be much worse than being in it.

Plus, I hear stories all the time about pilots who get knocked out in their planes because of exhaust fumes. (in small single props and what not, the heat comes off of the exhaust, no radiators, and if not serviced properly, can leak into the cab. I figure at least your 6 inches above the ground and not 6000 ft. Plus, when you ram into the side of a park car, that should wake you up and give you time to get out.

[Edited by steveair on 02-01-2001 at 08:34 PM]
  10. Guido

Theres only so many "pro's" that can hang the cig from there mouth and not use it as an excuse for screwing up!! I quit smoking a few months ago, but when a guy on my crew uses that excuse (all the time) that he hit something because he was trying to smoke , I get in there take one of his cigs light it up and show him how its done! I never thought of the safety risk of NOT smoking like you did. You think it will fly with my wife so I can start lighten up again? LOL