1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

desiel trucks vs. gas trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sirsweatsalot, Dec 4, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a duramax diesel in my 2500HD. Sounds good, tons of torque and power, and i love racing and beating rice mobiles and filling their window up with smoke at the same time.
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i've always wondered would a diesel beet a gas say to 1/4 mile?

same truck, tranny, just diff engine.
  3. mdb landscaping

thats a good question bubble boy. Im not sure if a completely stock diesel would be able to beat a stock gas job, assuming you are putting it up against a same brand. For instance, chevies big gas motor is pretty powerful and would probably beat the 300hp duramax. Now a non stock diesel can blow that away. In my truck i have a 4 inch exhaust, computer and intake, and will blow the gas out of the water. You wouldnt beleive the power you can crank out of a diesel with a few simple mods.
  4. bubble boy

does modifying do anything in terms of hauling ability, or plowing?

i'd love to do something to my 2500 HD. 6.0 gasser. stock civics are no prob, but the preludes still have the edge on me.

say i wanted to spend a few hundred. is anything possible for that little? or do i have to get into thousands?
  5. Bubbleboy

just curious you had any piston slap in the 6.0 gasser?
  6. mdb landscaping

off the top of my head, the first thing you should probably do to your truck would be to add a air intake and some bad azz sounding exhausts. Since i have spent countless numbers of hours reading up on diesels and mods, and final made my decision on my truck, i cant really tell you whats on the market today for gassers. Im pretty sure they make a power programmer for your truck where you plug into the computer and can play with rev limiter, shift points, speed limiter and other specs with the motor. If youve got questions on diesel mods i could help you, but maybe somebody with a suped up gasser could resond.
  7. bubble boy

pistons are under the hood right?? HEHEHE im the village idiot with engines.

dont know what that is, i'll tell you if you describe.
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab PSD here (Green Giant's little brother :D ). I really bought it to tow a travel trailer, but it has come in handy since I decided to get back into the business. I like the diesel for the towing power, mileage, longevity, and heck, the sound. :D
  9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Another good reason for Diesel is, just like mdb found out, they can be modified easier than gas. And with a diesel, when you modify it, you get better fuel mileage, and don't usually hurt the longevity at all. The thing I like about the Cummins in my Dodge is it is built for considerable more power. They seriously detune it in the Dodge to protect the rest of the drive train. So with minor modding, the engine is capable of much more!
    How can you beat better fuel mileage, more pulling power, longer life, easier to modify for more power, and better resale value? True they do have more oil capacity, but the more oil an engine, any engine, will hold the better as far as I'm concerned. And other than that, maintenance is a snap!

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel all the way!

Longer life, better resale value,....much better torque, and fuel mileage.

Better Off Modified Baby !!! :D :cool: